Thread: Which amp for EV ELX112, EV ELX118

Which amp for EV ELX112, EV ELX118

Hi.

Which amp is good for 2x EV ELX 112 ? QSC GX3 is enough ?
    Which amp is good for 2x EV ELX 118 ? QSC GX5 is enough ?

Thanks

Do you own there or are you buying? If you are buying I say rethink and get the powered version, if you already own the boxes the Id suggest the gx5 and 7.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

I want to buy now. I also looked at the active model, but if I buy the passive and the amplifier, still comes out cheaper. And I don't want to buy the active model, because if I sell the boxes, I still will have the amp for another speakers.

GX5 not too big for EV ELX 112 cause ELX 112 is 250W RMS at 8 ohm, and GX5 gives 500W RMS at 8 ohm, GX3 only 300W RMS at 8 ohm.

Quote Originally Posted by Lezlike View Post
    I want to buy now. I also looked at the active model, but if I buy the passive and the amplifier, still comes out cheaper. And I don't want to buy the active model, because if I sell the boxes, I still will have the amp for another speakers.

GX5 not too big for EV ELX 112 cause ELX 112 is 250W RMS at 8 ohm, and GX5 gives 500W RMS at 8 ohm, GX3 only 300W RMS at 8 ohm.
    Definitely would use the GX5 for the 112's not GX3. The GX5 is the minimum.
    Will the GX3 work?? Sure it will, at lower volume. Not a good investment there as your chance of wanting more power later is almost definite.

And the GX5 is again, too small for the 118's, you should have an amp capable of AT LEAST 800W/ch @ 8 ohms, not even the GX7 outputs that much.
    Again, sure, a lower powered amp will work, but you'll want to replace it sooner or later because you'll want more output.

Worse yet, you'll push the amp too hard (because it's too small and you're not happy with the output) and melt your subs, it happens all the time...

So sure, that's why it seems cheaper to go with passive, because you're looking at amps that are lower powered than would normally be used with those speakers.. also you have probably not added the cost of speakon cables, a rack, a rack power strip, or the digital processor that you should really have as well...

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    Definitely would use the GX5 for the 112's not GX3. The GX5 is the minimum.
    Will the GX3 work?? Sure it will, at lower volume. Not a good investment there as your chance of wanting more power later is almost definite.

And the GX5 is again, too small for the 118's, you should have an amp capable of AT LEAST 800W/ch @ 8 ohms, not even the GX7 outputs that much.
    Again, sure, a lower powered amp will work, but you'll want to replace it sooner or later because you'll want more output.

Worse yet, you'll push the amp too hard (because it's too small and you're not happy with the output) and melt your subs, it happens all the time...

So sure, that's why it seems cheaper to go with passive, because you're looking at amps that are lower powered than would normally be used with those speakers.. also you have probably not added the cost of speakon cables, a rack, a rack power strip, or the digital processor that you should really have as well...
    Thank you for this excellent reply, I will also consider passive speakers.
    I just found this page, they sell ELX118 with GX5: http://www.musical-instruments-for-a...nd-covers.html
    I have the other tools for the sound system, only now I want better system.
    Last edited by Lezlike; 10-03-2021 at 05:11 PM.

If you look at the specifications for the GX3.. it's 425W Program Power. The ELX112 is rated 250W Continuous / 500W Program.. so the GX3 is a little too conservative. Normally you want an amp capable of *at least* the program rating of the speaker. But also, to your point about wanting to use the amps later on with different speakers.. if you expand your system then (unless you get into bi-amping your tops), you will have very little use for the GX3 because the next tops you get will almost definitely be rated higher than the ELX112's are.. and you will want to take advantage of that capacity.. but with the GX3 it is likely that you will be unable to.

BTW I am not against passive systems, I have had a bunch of different systems, right now the system I used most (before the pandemic) is an EV QRX system, it's all passive with QSC amps as well

One disadvantage of passive PA speakers is if you want to sell them at a later date. They are a lot harder to sell (For a decent price.) since they aren't as popular as active speakers.

Passive HiFi speakers are still popular with audiophiles, but not so much with mobile DJs and local bands.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    If you look at the specifications for the GX3.. it's 425W Program Power. The ELX112 is rated 250W Continuous / 500W Program.. so the GX3 is a little too conservative. Normally you want an amp capable of *at least* the program rating of the speaker. But also, to your point about wanting to use the amps later on with different speakers.. if you expand your system then (unless you get into bi-amping your tops), you will have very little use for the GX3 because the next tops you get will almost definitely be rated higher than the ELX112's are.. and you will want to take advantage of that capacity.. but with the GX3 it is likely that you will be unable to.

BTW I am not against passive systems, I have had a bunch of different systems, right now the system I used most (before the pandemic) is an EV QRX system, it's all passive with QSC amps as well
    After much time and correspondence with manufacturers it turns out that the GX3 is the perfect for EV ELX112...

Q66 Amplifier specs:

Ev ELX 112:
    250W Continous(RMS), 500W Program, 1000W Peak

I asked others who use this speaker(ELX112) and they recommended GX3, not the GX5 cause its too powerful.

They're wrong.
    But hey, it's your money.