Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shure whitelabel setup for 1200's

shure whitelabel setup for 1200's

when I started dj'ing again I picked up a pair of stanton track masters without doing any research, they were the carts I used to use, I prefer concords and was never a fan of the ortofon's
    got them in and wasn't really happy with the v3's (think the ones from the 90's were a lot better)

so I watched a youtube vid and the dude mentioned making the progression from track masters to ortofons to whtlbls, and last week I met up with a local dj who was also recommending whtlbls, so I did some research on this forum and whtlbls seemed to be a popular choice
    so I bought a pair

They come with the most vague and stupid instructions, just wondering what people use for settings on a 1200
    this was the best I could find online
    (I play real vinyl, mostly mixing, light to moderate scratching and turntabalism)

Tonearm height: 3mm
    Tracking force: 2.5-3g
    Stylus overhang: 51mm
    antiskate: 0g

also while researching proper overhang settings online I ran across some comments by franky bones saying whtlbls are the shittiest dj needles and are full of suck, saw a few other people making the same comments on other sites
    should I be returning these?

just mounted them with the above settings, sound is ok, like the weight, good tracking, no skipping when cueing or scratching

not sure what to call it, but the part that sticks out and you pick it up by is way too short and has a stupid curve to it
    I'm really hating on that one part
    after beat matching, it's really difficult to pick up the cartridge and move it back into position to re-cue
    because of the curve my fat finger is too big to fit in between the record and the tab on the headshell

You should try shure M44-7 with the original technics headshell, properly setup and it work like a charm!
    I can say they are better than my Ortofon Gold, in term of sound quality, tracking and price!!!
    THIS IS AWESOME!

Quote Originally Posted by djtia View Post
    You should try shure M44-7 with the original technics headshell, properly setup and it work like a charm!
    I can say they are better than my Ortofon Gold, in term of sound quality, tracking and price!!!
    On paper/tech spec the Ortofons win hands down.

Ortofon Gold: Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz +/- 2dB
    Shure M44-7: Frequency response 20 Hz - 17 kHz

Ortofon Gold: Stylus type Special Elliptical
    Shure M44-7: Diamond Stylus Tip: Spherical 0,7 mil

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
    On paper/tech spec the Ortofons win hands down.

Ortofon Gold: Frequency response 20-20.000 Hz +/- 2dB
    Shure M44-7: Frequency response 20 Hz - 17 kHz

Ortofon Gold: Stylus type Special Elliptical
    Shure M44-7: Diamond Stylus Tip: Spherical 0,7 mil
    Wouldn't 17kHz =17000 Hz? not much a difference there. And I'm sure Diamond>"Special" lol

Quote Originally Posted by ksound View Post
    Tonearm height: 3mm
    Tracking force: 2.5-3g
    Stylus overhang: 51mm
    antiskate: 0g

also while researching proper overhang settings online I ran across some comments by franky bones saying whtlbls are the shittiest dj needles and are full of suck, saw a few other people making the same comments on other sites
    should I be returning these?
    If your settings are already working then roll with it. They look about right to me, although the recommended overhang on Technics is normally 52mm. I used to like Whitelabels a lot but I got rid of them due to reliability problems (I was probably just unlucky).

I wouldn't pay too much attention to Frankie Bones, he's very opinionated when it comes to turntables. I used to argue with him a lot over at discogs

Quote Originally Posted by djtia View Post
    M44-7s sound awful to my ear, the highs honestly give me a headache. There are much better sounding carts out there with almost as good tracking and record wear. In my most humble opinion, M44-7s are only really suitable for heavy scratchers or people who use a DVS exclusively.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid

the instructions said 52mm was optimal for playback, 51 for dj'ing, and 50 for heavy scratching

I have one m44-7, I'm not really impressed with the sound and I find them a bit clunky

And I agree that otofon's sound good, but I've always had trouble with the balance on them and have a nasty habit of skipping them across the record

Played around with the whtlbls a bit more, they are growing on me, normally I lift the thumb tab with my index finger, with the whtlbls I need to pick it up with my thumb and forefinger, makes me a bit slower but I suppose I'll get used to them

Quote Originally Posted by DTR View Post
    I wouldn't pay too much attention to Frankie Bones, he's very opinionated when it comes to turntables. I used to argue with him a lot over at discogs
    I know what you mean, he was on fb yesterday telling people that only early model mk2's are good and all other 1200's we're crap, I was like lol what?

That missing 3k will make the M44-7s slightly duller on the hi end. The 3k difference is more to do with the stylus shape. To be fair the clubber and average DJ won't notice that difference.

Ortofon's DJ cartridges use a modified elliptical stylus, known as "special elliptical" which can stand up to heavy backcueing, unlike traditional elliptical styli.
    I've never had a problem with my Ortofons skipping but I don't do any scratching with them.

You should always use appropriate antiskate unless you are heavily scratching. If memory serves me correctly, I believe the WLs needed the higher end of their downforce range to clear up the best on loud records. The height of the tonearm should also be dictated by the slipmap thickness in relation to the cart itself. Set it where Shure says and then eye it to see if that's about right. If so, no more adjustments needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Enstrom View Post
    That missing 3k will make the M44-7s slightly duller on the hi end. The 3k difference is more to do with the stylus shape. To be fair the clubber and average DJ won't notice that difference.
    I doubt many, if any, adults can hear 17kHz or above.
    www.dnbradio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Doppelganger
    He's just like me, only he's a man and more stupid