Over the past holiday weekend, I provided sound and DJed a few special events for a burner retreat out in the wilds of Oregon.

I've provided sound for smaller outdoor events, but this was the first time I used the system outdoors for a more spread out thing, and what would be 4 days and nights of of almost non-stop house and related genres.

This was for the main music site of the event, with the entire camp spread out over several acres of separate sites.

Burners who are into house, tech house, etc. like things LOUD and with OOMPH, so I expressed my concerns to the organizers, that my system might not give the level of "OONTZ!" that the crowd might want. I can get enough juice for a small-to-medium club or smaller outdoor events, but this one required some throw. The worst would be setting everything up and discovering that, nope, it isn't going to be satisfying to the fans or the DJs. Too bad we're in the middle of nowhere. Sucks to be us.

Turns out, I needn't have worried. At all. Once I got everything set up and dialed in, my two Altos and the subs were MORE than enough to make everyone (and me) happy. It was loud, punchy modern rave music day and night, with breaks somewhere after sunrise, then starting back up again early afternoon. Someone on Saturday early morning (maybe 3AM?) even did a LOUD drum-and-bass set with tons of growly low-end and dubstep elements that really put things to the test. But all weekend, the rig stayed clean, loud and you could still almost feel the oomph a couple of sites away from the music/dance area.

After using and hearing my rig, some of the other DJs wanted to know the details of my setup. They discovered that, like the Millennium Falcon, she may not look like much but she's got it where it counts. One of the DJs is now considering downsizing from his 20 kilowatt rack power + passive speaker system because he felt my system gave him what he needed all weekend in a much smaller and lighter package.

As I mentioned in another post somewhere, it certainly isn't a tuned state of the art QSC club rig or anything, but damn if it didn't get the job done with some style this past weekend.

Side note, the Behringer subs on paper are underpowered in comparison to the mains, but in practice they did a fine job of taking some low-end pressure off of the mains to keep them clean, and they threw enough oomphy bottom to fill in that sub-70hz gap.

This is the loudest and longest I have ever run this rig, and I am VERY pleased with the results. Everyone else involved was thrilled too, even the demanding house and tech DJs and fans.

Total cost for the setup (minus speaker poles and cables) : $1360 (2X Alto TS312 + 2X Behringer B1200D-PRO)

So now I will "trust" this system for larger events in the future.