Thread: Serato Pro - Mouse Mixing - Live Streaming - Mac - Split Headphones

Serato Pro - Mouse Mixing - Live Streaming - Mac - Split Headphones

I thought i'd share the details of my current hobby setup in hope it may inspire some laptop DJ's.

I've started mixing for over 15 years ago now. From 1210s, CDJ 1000s, Virtual DJ, Traktor, Serato i stopped touring commercially a few years back but that feeling never leaves you. I've thought about getting a controller, we'll see.

Right now i'm using Serato Pro with the Traktor DJ Splitter Cable. While it does the job it supposed to it does affect the overall listening experience slightly (only really noticeable to a keen musician's ear). I was looking round for a method or software for quite a while that would allow me to use my speaker output as an input, it's not easy on a Mac! After a lot of faffing around i come across a piece of software that is magic! Turning on the 'make audio available to other applications' option with Serato (settings > audio) settings and Audio Hijack. Audio Hijack not only does this but also hosts a huge variety of amazing features you should definitely check out! With Audio Hijack i'm also able to hook up my USB mic, use ducking on the audio and also stream to my HearThis profile, LiteRECORDS livestream and record all at the same time! I've tested this to Facebook Live too and it works, but as we all know it takes some juggling to avoid the copyright police from blocking your stream.

Download Audio Hijack - https://rogueamoeba.com/audiohijack/

I have included an image of my Audio Hijack settings. When enabling the mic with on/off within the app you hear a little click so i added a switch to it and just put Photoshop in there so when it's off it won't pickup any random audio. I am happy to assist anyone in setting up a digital setup or to answer any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Serato - serato.com/playlists/3initial VIEW
    HearThis - hearthis.at/3initial LISTEN
    LiteRECORDS - literecords.com PROMOTE

This is a bit geeky, is it related in any way to MAX/MSP? Regarding the sound quality, it makes me shiver as I see 160 kbps stereo. I see 2 VU meters which also indicate stereo, but from what I have seen on what is live streaming on phones and splitting sound via cable, the sound is mono (soon to change with that new bluetooth protocol)

Anyways thanks an awful lot for that, because in the beginner section there's been an awful lot of people asking a lot of questions on how to do that. Especially with the pandemic of course. A lot of people back in the day wanted to stream on facebook and whatnot.

Thanks for the post

160kbps is my cheat way of having the quality just good enough to listen but low enough to hide any slight imperfections in my mix I know, i should simply mix better With the Traktor DJ Cable it has to be mono because it uses one channel for the output and one channel for the cue. I included the VU meters because at first it was only playing through one side until i had a little tinker around with it.
    Serato - serato.com/playlists/3initial VIEW
    HearThis - hearthis.at/3initial LISTEN
    LiteRECORDS - literecords.com PROMOTE

I think that's the first time I hear of someone making it sound not as good for the purpose to make it sound better