Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yes another Speaker Latency/Lag/Delay Question :)

Quote Originally Posted by bill fitzmaurice View Post
    thinking about it delay might work if the monitor is close and it doesn't aim at the audience. A diagram of the room arrangement would help.
    bar setup.jpgoutside location and speakers are on the ground

That's different. The distance between the speakers out in the room doesn't matter. The distance from them to the monitor does. Delay the signal to the monitor by 0.9ms for every foot of the distance to whichever of those is furthest away. It won't matter to those out in the room because they can't hear the shorter wavelength directional midrange and high frequencies coming from the monitor.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

The problem with putting a delay on the closer speaker is it will mess up your mixing, since then everything will be delayed compared to what you cue up in your headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    The problem with putting a delay on the closer speaker is it will mess up your mixing, since then everything will be delayed compared to what you cue up in your headphones.
    let's call the speaker by me A and then to the left of me is B followed by C.... what i'm noticing is when you stand in the server area - there is a delay between B and C which is frustrating

There shouldn't be. The difference in the distance to B and C from the server area is too short for any delay to be audible. 10ms is on average as short a delay as can be heard.
    Last edited by Bill Fitzmaurice; 08-19-2021 at 04:05 PM.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    There shouldn't be. The difference in the distance to B and C from the server area is too short for any delay to be audible. 10ms is on average as short a delay as can be heard.
    yeah - it's probably my monitor making the delay more audible when i'm standing in the server area. i think i'll keep the monitor by my side and then keep the speaker on the far end and remove the speaker by the bar station - that seems to be the culprit and then move that one further out into the front of the bar.
    thanks for all your help.

Easiest solution is to put the monitor on a stand and to your side.
    Unless it's a wedge.. but then, maybe put it on a table by your side.

If you get the monitor closer to you and more at ear level, your brain will more easily be able to lock onto it and ignore the delayed sound from the other speakers.
    Years ago I learned to DJ just mixing in headphones, it's great. I never use monitors anymore, if they're available I just turn them down real low.