Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yes another Speaker Latency/Lag/Delay Question :)

Yes another Speaker Latency/Lag/Delay Question :)

the problem... i have a monitor speaker 2 feet away from me(speaker A_)... i have another speaker 15 feet away from me (speaker B).... there is a delay between the two which is driving me insane...
    because of the footprint I have to work in... i am using my laptop and numark mixtrack 3
    here is what I have tried....
    USB interface and also a allan heath zed10
    speakers linked together and also separate
    the 'monitor' speaker A close to me is on the ground and no obstructions in front of it
    the listening speaker B is on the ground behind the bar - the bar is 2 feet away from the speaker so sound would be obstructed but even when i have volume very low on that speaker - i can still hear the delay
    am i doing something really wrong here ?

i also added a third speaker (speaker C) which is 15 feet away from the 2nd 'listening' speaker (Speaker B) and if i stand between the two - there is that damn delay by a few ms
    they are all facing the same way but they are all on he ground.
    i didnt have these issues when i dj'ed there pre covid because I was using 1 speaker close to me and then the other one was like 60' feet away and I couldnt hear a delay even if there was one
    please excuse the noob question and thanks in advance for any advice...

Hi, welcome to DjF. please don't mind me, as I move your thread to the speaker section
    Last edited by Manu; 08-18-2021 at 01:59 PM.

Sound travels slowly, so 15' would create a bit of a delay. When you had the speaker 60' away, you probably had a lot more of a delay, but it was too far from you too really hear the speaker at all since the speaker close to you overpowered the far away one. Now that you have one close up and one just slightly further away, it's close enough for you to hear it properly but far enough to cause a delay.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    Sound travels slowly, so 15' would create a bit of a delay. When you had the speaker 60' away, you probably had a lot more of a delay, but it was too far from you too really hear the speaker at all since the speaker close to you overpowered the far away one. Now that you have one close up and one just slightly further away, it's close enough for you to hear it properly but far enough to cause a delay.
    thank you for your reply...
    i see i can spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on a delay box or digital mixer or powered speakers that have a delay adjustment feature - so basically nothing I can do on the cheap to sync up the sound ?
    it's quite annoying where you basically stand right in the middle of the 2 speakers (15' apart) and hear the delay - i guess my only options is to not have 3 or 4 speakers and go back to a 2 speaker setup and have them at both ends of the area.

thanks !

This article may help to explain your situation.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/ti...s-for-your-pa/

The answer usually involves a DSP to add delay to a speaker.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

In this case DSP isn't the answer. Whatever delay he uses to bring the two speakers into time align at his listening position will take them out of time align at other listening positions. The three available options are: 1. Move his listening position 2. Move the speakers. 3. Live with it.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    In this case DSP isn't the answer.
    BFM is the expert. I would listen to his advice.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    In this case DSP isn't the answer. Whatever delay he uses to bring the two speakers into time align at his listening position will take them out of time align at other listening positions. The three available options are: 1. Move his listening position 2. Move the speakers. 3. Live with it.
    I think Ive decided to move the speakers - further apart.
    thanks for the info. !

Thinking about it delay might work if the monitor is close and it doesn't aim at the audience. A diagram of the room arrangement would help.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum