Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Possible tweeters going bad on Yamaha DXR10 powered speakers?

Manu,thanks for the sweep.
    Celestion makes the tweeter for Yamaha and their part number is T5815A,so maybe I can find a pair faster(if in fact mine are bad) than Yamaha and I don't care if the Yamaha name is on them or not,as long as they are the same speaker(so I have read).Thanks
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-31-2021 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Hey good old youtube it there you go

The audio on that first video is pretty bad. The highs cut off completely then when the highs do come back in the frequency range is going in the wrong direction at times.

As I mentioned in my first post just "download a frequency sweep and run it on a loop".

You can download a free sound sweep from here.
    https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones...weep20-20k.php
    The two 20 second sweeps are halfway down the page.
    One is a logarithmic sweep, the other is a linear sweep.
    Use the logarithmic sweep.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Thanks Windows95!^

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    You can download a free sound sweep from here.
    https://www.audiocheck.net/testtones...weep20-20k.php
    My bad that's not a downloadable file, you have to play it in your phone's (or tablet, or computer) browser.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I found a pair of tweeters,so should I break them in slowly?
    I never run my gear cold,so is warming up before playing enough?
    Thanks,H50

Yes, break it softly and run some music overnight. The minimum volume will do to jog them off. Play some Massive Attack, nice and easy jog for all types of speakers. I recommend this on loop.

I never run my gear cold,so is warming up before playing enough?
    Excellent question, I always warm up my gear at least half an hour. Even on my home hifi I turn the amp on about half hour or so in advance. In my experience I do notice a whole lot of difference in warmth. I also come from a studio background, and then the gear is always left on.

Thanks...Yeah,my gear is on right now,for some heavy listening tonight.
    I bought the whole driver(s),but I could have just went with replacing the diaphragms, so maybe I will use the original 'bad' tweeter housings and replace the diaphragms on those and keep them for spares.They look like the drivers come apart(4 hex screws)..never changed 'em before,so good time to learn?!Thanks.
    Last edited by Huck50; 08-02-2021 at 03:24 PM.

How about wrapping the speakers up in a couple of blankets and turning bass down and treble up to break them in,(low to medium volume on Mezzanine?)
    I have to do something so wife doesn't go nuts.Thanks

Absolutely, you can muffle them with towels

Honestly, you do not have to run them in loud at all. just barely set above audible minimum level is good enough

yes by all means turn the bass all the way down. do not push the treble up stay level, muffle in towel then place the speaker against the wall (towards opposite wife's bedroom preferably) and it will do fine. Have fun putting the volume a little up in the morning and enjoy the experience.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

When I say muffle, you fold the towel accordingly to size, place in front of the speaker, then stick it against the wall gently. Keep in mind this is a powered speaker, and the back needs to cool down. Do not ''wrap''.
    Last edited by Manu; 08-03-2021 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Thanks...Yeah,my gear is on right now,for some heavy listening tonight.
    I bought the whole driver(s),but I could have just went with replacing the diaphragms, so maybe I will use the original 'bad' tweeter housings and replace the diaphragms on those and keep them for spares.They look like the drivers come apart(4 hex screws)..never changed 'em before,so good time to learn?!Thanks.
    LOL, halfway reading through your post I was thinking spares. PA tweeters are usually very straightforward to fix, as long as you have the basics down in terms of screwdriver and soldering. I have some Eminence 9x9 tweeters running in my room over here, only had to service once, very straightforward, a few screws and a little soldering, done.