Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Possible tweeters going bad on Yamaha DXR10 powered speakers?

Possible tweeters going bad on Yamaha DXR10 powered speakers?

Hi:
    I have noticed that on some certain frequencies,the left tweeter on my my DXR10 seems to be making a buzzing,scraping type of noise,mainly on vocals that tend to be at a higher frequency,trumpet or saxaphone sounds good....anyways,can a tweeter still function as it should and still be defective?
    I guess I should move left speaker over to right to rule out any other contributing factors and hear if it still buzzes.
    Do the tweeters normally go bad,as I don't think they were ever over driven or played loud cold...(I always warm my gear up before use)as I have them in my small listening room(12x24).Thanks,Huck50
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-31-2021 at 10:20 AM.

Tweeters and woofers can make buzzing noises due to a number of component failures.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Do the tweeters normally go bad,as I don't think they were ever over driven as I have them in my small listening room
    Yes. More often than not coil damage due to sudden temperature change (seen others before cranking it up loud from cold and killing speakers) or lubrication issues. Other issues over time are simply speakers aging badly, seen that a few times myself with foam suspension (or other materials) going brittle, lacquer disintegrating etc...

It's also possible to kill a twitter by going too hard on the EQ without even cranking the volume, I lost count of people coming back to me with that exact story, not even realising they went exponentially beyond the tweeter power rating. Happened to a friend of mine not too long ago, he had this annual family reunion, ambient music at reasonable volume but with the EQ cranked up with scooped mids and loudness on, then turned the volume up and instant speaker fry.
    Last edited by Manu; 07-31-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks...so any way to check if they are going bad other than using a tone generator or some other electrical gear I don't have?....what about an ohm meter...will that tell me if they are 'on their way out'.
    Yamaha want $100.00 each,so not looking to go that route yet,maybe I should check mounting first?.Thanks
    p.s. maybe where they mount,possible screws loose and causing buzzing noise? Thanks
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-31-2021 at 08:29 AM.

p.s. maybe where they mount,possible screws loose and causing buzzing noise? Thanks
    Yes... mechanical buzzing of components can sound like distortion, could be the grill, the amp module, or the driver mounting fasteners.. both woofer and tweeter. It could also be something in the room buzzing like a picture on a wall... I've had that happen.

But first you have to zero in on the problem, is the noise only heard on a certain track or does it occur more often? The noise could be in the recording itself. If you can determine it's not the track or anything in the room, try switching cabinets left to right... does the problem follow the cab or not?

P.S. It's not likely to be a driver failure.. this would be the first driver failure I have heard of in this series if it's true. The protection built into these boxes is better than average but nothing is bulletproof and anything is possible, it's just not likely.
    Last edited by conanski; 07-31-2021 at 08:46 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    It could also be something in the room buzzing like a picture on a wall... I've had that happen.
    An easy way to test (track down) that. Is to download a frequency sweep and run it on a loop so you can track down where the noise is coming from.

If you have a keyboard you could hook its line out (or headphone out) to your speaker to see what frequency (note) is causing the noise.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Yes... mechanical buzzing of components can sound like distortion, could be the grill, the amp module, or the driver mounting fasteners.. both woofer and tweeter. It could also be something in the room buzzing like a picture on a wall... I've had that happen.

But first you have to zero in on the problem, is the noise only heard on a certain track or does it occur more often? The noise could be in the recording itself. If you can determine it's not the track or anything in the room, try switching cabinets left to right... does the problem follow the cab or not?

P.S. It's not likely to be a driver failure.. this would be the first driver failure I have heard of in this series if it's true. The protection built into these boxes is better than average but nothing is bulletproof and anything is possible, it's just not likely.
    Seems to do it(buzz)on the Fleetwood Mac-"Rumours" Stevie Nicks goes up high on one song,not sure which one...does it on Journey-"Raised on radio",Steve Perry and Nicks seems to hit the one frequency that gets 'em goin'.
    These tweeters are rarely in stock it seems..this is the note I get from Yamaha Canada;"We have stock in the US which will take around 4 weeks. IF you require 2 the second one will take 2-3 months coming overseas".
    I can't believe they have hardly zero stock on these!

From what I can gather from searching,these speakers(tweets) are made for Yamaha by Celestion and are common to most DXR's...8,10 series.
    I will change out both once I found out for sure if it is the tweets that are bad and not something else buzzing,vibrating.Thanks,Huck50
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-31-2021 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    An easy way to test (track down) that. Is to download a frequency sweep and run it on a loop so you can track down where the noise is coming from.

If you have a keyboard you could hook its line out (or headphone out) to your speaker to see what frequency (note) is causing the noise.
    Yeah...but I don't have.Thanks

I will try swapping speaker positions and see if the buzz,scraping noise follows...I have diminished hearing in my right ear,so maybe the right cab is buzzing also,just can't hear it?! Thanks.
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-31-2021 at 11:04 AM.

Yeah seems like swapping speakers is your best bet at this point, and triple check the whole lot. Play the same music that caused it in the first place, IE if you get the same noise in the same speaker position, then the fault is somewhere else in the chain.

Yeah...but I don't have.Thanks
    Hey good old youtube it there you go

If you have a smart phone you can download a sweep app and plug a jack in your system