Thread: XLR outputs on a mixer

XLR outputs on a mixer

a blond question i am sure but i have no experience of XLR.
    if a mixer has XLR outputs there is no need for a separate amp, am I correct?, what monitors should i use if so. Passive or active? minefield question, what monitors should I get?
    all my experience is with RCA outputs, thanks
    oh wait i probably want that on vinyl.
    Heres some old my old DJ Mixes: https://www.djslowbridge.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DJslowbridge View Post
    a blond question i am sure but i have no experience of XLR.
    if a mixer has XLR outputs there is no need for a separate amp, am I correct?,
    No... that has nothing to do with it. The differences between RCA and XLR is the former is unbalanced and the later is balanced, XLR had a higher output level, and the balanced XLR connection is designed to cancel induced noise that would be picked up by long interconnect cables used in pro applications. Both of these are still line level non-amplified signals so the speakers need to be self powered or an external amplifier is needed.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

RCA uses two wires in its cables.
    XLR uses three wires in its cables.
    RCA cables are for short runs, typically about a meter or two.
    XLR cables are for long runs, typically from about 2 meters to about 30 meters.

Powered mixers (mixers with a built-in amp) use TRS jacks or Speakon jacks for their speaker outputs.
    RCA outs and XLR outs (Main, Monitor, or Booth) on a mixer go to a power amp or to powered (active) speakers. (Or to a stereo system like a hi-fi or a boombox.)
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.