Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding speaker system for backyard and small parties

Need help finding speaker system for backyard and small parties

I'm a bedroom dj, I mix techno, trance, psytrance, and hardcore techno. I use studio monitors when I'm mixing inside the house, but we upgraded our backyard and I'd love to mix outside from time to time. I'm clueless when it comes to sound systems so I was hoping yall can help me find a pa system or small speakers so that I can spin in my backyard. I live around a whole bunch of old grumpy people so I don't need anything too crazy loud, if anything I value quality of sound over blowing away my neighbors. I'd also like to hook up my guitar and a mic or a little mixer to the system if possible. I don't want to break the bank so I was thinking of spending no more than $500 USD. I was thinking I might get something like a Behringer C210B or maybe even one of those JBL partybox 310. The partybox seems like it would be super easy to setup; I can just roll out the speaker to the backyard and plugin my NI S4 MK3 to it and start spinning. Is there something that would be as easy to set up (roll out on wheels) as the partybox 310 that sounds better and is within my price range. My apologies for my ignorance, I know nothing about sound systems. Thank you.

If you need a battery-powered Bluetooth speaker with RGB. The JBL Partybox 310 is the best $500 option in my opinion.
    However, if you don't need a battery-powered speaker (or RGB lighting and Bluetooth) there are better options for $500 or less.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

What do you suggest? I mainly just need something that is simple to setup. I can power it through a cable.

Yamaha DBR10 $325
    QSC CP8 $400
    Electro-Voice ZLX-12BT $400
    JBL IRX112BT $400
    JBL EON 612 $470

Dunno if you're still paying attention to this post.. but..

Sure you can buy a single PA speaker like Windows 95 suggested, and this would def be the way to go if you plan to expand the system later to a real DJ system with two speakers and a sub.. which you could use for real gigs up to maybe 100 people... The total budget for a good quality small DJ sound system (good name brand like the ones Windows95 named) is at least $1500, up to $2000 for two speakers, one subwoofer, cables and stands.

But if you are just hanging out back with a dozen friends or so, I would not bother getting PA speakers at all. I would get something like the JBL Boombox which comes in right at your budget of $5000. It doesn't go as loud as even a small PA speaker, but it goes deeper.. it'll be a more satisfying experience for the purpose you have planned for it. Personally in JBL I would go Boombox not Party Box, it's just a fun thing to own and when you're not DJing with it, you can use it for other things, it's just so much more grab-and-go.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    I would get something like the JBL Boombox which comes in right at your budget of $5000.
    You typoed an extra zero.
    For Five thousand he can get pretty much anything he wants for a small party.

A pair of EV Evolve 50 = $3,400
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Electro...00000144165.gc
    And a Lighting Package = $1,350
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/CHAUVET...Fog-Machine.gc

OOps, yea, $500. That's his budget and that's how much the JBL Boombox costs.

JBL Partybox 300 Vs JBL Boombox
    8:45

One thing to note is that just because a powered PA speaker has the potential to crank 1000w or 2000w doesn't mean you HAVE to use all that power. You can set it to any volume you like and it will have much more clean headroom than you would get out of lower powered "party" speakers.

You can get a pretty good sounding 1000w (2000w peak) powered Alto PA speaker for around $350 or less new, and you could even pick 12, 10 or 8 inch formats. Of course it isn't going to be anywhere near the same as a tuned QSC system you'd find in a club, but could still serve as a good starting point if you ever expand from backyard parties with friends. I do smaller events and clubs with a pair of those and some subs all the time. Some EQ to tune to the room and I'm good. But I also often pull out just one of the 12" mains (maybe a sub if I'm feeling frisky) for informal backyard parties. I have all the headroom I need for quiet ****** chatty afternoons all the way up to evening dance ragers.

That said, the JBL Party Box 300 posted by Windows 95 looks like a fun option, especially for a situation where an outlet isn't handy. Might look into one of those myself for those weekend woodland party trips.

The problem with PA tops in this situation is that sure, they can go loud.. but despite their large size, they don't go very deep.. so the bass isn't as satisfying as one might like. You can eq the bass up a bit, but the fact is that if a speaker is tuned to roll off at 60-70 Hz, you are not going bring that bass back.. whereas a speaker that is designed for personal listening can afford to tune lower, even if it means they won't be able to go quite so loud.