Thread: Need help setting the gain /volume levels on Mixtrack pro fx + yamaha rxv563 receiver

Need help setting the gain /volume levels on Mixtrack pro fx + yamaha rxv563 receiver

Hey everyone . My first post here and i need help. I recently purchased the Numark mixtrack pro fx and i love it . im using serato dj pro and the controller is hooked up to my yamaha rxv563 avr through the CD in with direct mode . i have a full 7.1 surround setup and 7channel stereo sounds beautiful as well.

Im not sure i am setting the gain / volume / master / receiver volume correctly . Here is my process doing it and if anyone can help out with tips or correct me if im wrong. i have everything plugged in and powered on .With both line faders all the way down , the master down and gain knobs down i find the loudest part of a good quality song and slowly turn up the gain knobs until right before the 5th led light on the meter is lit . deck 2 i repeat the process with the same song . i then turn up the master on the controller , bring up both volume faders on the controller and finally turn the volume up on my receiver to about -22db .

my problem is that sometimes the samples are extremely loud , the receiver has the option to use both the subwoofer and bass from my front left and right bookshelves , or i can make it be subwoofer only . the crossover setting in the receiver is 80hz by default but an older audiophile buddy of mine suggested to change it to 120hz . what do i use to correct the volume of a track if it is way too loud ? the receiver volume knob ? dj controller volume faders ? gain knobs ? all of the above?

whats the correct way to set the gain and volume levels on a dj controller if it is connected to an avr ?

Well you are doing it correct.
    Set the tracks so they peak at 0db on the mixer.
    Ideally set the master output of the mixer so that with both tracks are playing at full output, that the master is 0db or very slightly above on peaks.

Then set you amp volume based on the level of sound you want in the room.

When you say "samples are extremely loud" - do you mean that the master level goes up too high?

Virtually all mixers are additive. By that mean that you are always adding to the volume level :- whether mixing into another track or adding FX or samples.

So slapping a sample onto a quiet track or even during a loud mix will push the volume louder. How much louder will depend on how loud the sample sample is. If you can control this volume on your controller then all the better for it. If not...be careful.

As for your receiver, just play with the settings till you get something that works for you.
    You want direct input via the CD. In stereo. If your receiver does 2.1, and works well with a sub, then use it. A sub always sounds nice.

As for 80 or 120 Hz....sorry I don't know anything about your room and can't hear your Dj setup from here in France. Just play with the settings on the receiver and sub until it sounds good. Remember every track has different dynamics and tone signature, sometimes it difficult to get a 100% perfect sound 100% of the time - use the controls on your mixer to make it do what you want.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Thank you very much!