Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: peavey impulse 200 question

peavey impulse 200 question

I previously had a single Mackie SRM450v2 which the amp I believe died on due to me falling asleep during a camping trip and others using the equip. Ughhh I know I know never leave your stuff unattended 🤦*♂️

I recently fell into 2 peavey impulse 200 speakers/monitors

They are rated 1200w peak 600 program 300RMS at 8ohms

My first question are these comparable to what I had previously.

Second what AMP would anyone suggest to get the full capability out of these. If the price is crazy high I may just buy two new Mackie SRM450v3's.

As of right now I have only tested them on an old technics home audio receiver which only pushes 85w 8ohm per channel. They sound good and loud but I know it not near what they can handle.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Any amp producing 300-600w/ch into 8 ohms will do, nobody powers a passive speaker to it's peak rating. A Behringer NX3000d would be a good choice.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by marcus.webbe View Post
    As of right now I have only tested them on an old technics home audio receiver which only pushes 85w 8ohm per channel. They sound good and loud but I know it not near what they can handle.
    I doubt the difference will be as big as you think it will be.
    The problem is hi-fi amps aren't designed to be pushed so hard or to be moved around a lot. So that amp probably wouldn't last long if you tried using it as a PA amp.

I went from a Peavy PA amp that was only something like 110 watts or 130 watts per channel into 8 Ohms to a QSC PA amp that puts out 500 watts into 8 Ohms. And volume-wise there wasn't much of a difference. But at high volume levels, I was pushing the Peavy and the QSC doesn't even break a sweat. If I recall correctly my speakers (JBL MP215) are rated 250 watts RMS @ 8 Ohms.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I can tell when I turn the bass up the amp can't handle it and the speakers then crackle

Don't turn the bass up. Handling lows is what subs are for.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Frequency response down low cuts off at a mere 78 Hz. You won't be able to squeeze anymore bass out of those 12 inch drivers in such a small cabinet. They're tops not subs.

Gotcha. So the 12 Mackie I had before is way better than these. I just toss them then. The SRM450v2 thumped

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Any amp producing 300-600w/ch into 8 ohms will do, nobody powers a passive speaker to it's peak rating. A Behringer NX3000d would be a good choice.
    Thanks, your response was what I was looking for. I was looking at the NX3000 actually.

I bought a throw-away amp "Kinter K7498BT 200W Class D Stereo Amplifier with Bluetooth" just to play with and the difference was phenomenal just putting 100w each. Granted I didn't peak the amp as distortion in the bass started happening again and used a transformer vs the included power supply as the included wouldn't reach max. I'll keep that amp with me as a backup.

My mixing board is a Behringer xenyx802

What is the real difference between the NX3000 vs NX3000D. Glad I checked back to see your response 🙂

Last edited by marcus.webbe; 07-08-2021 at 09:16 PM.

The D version includes DSP processing whis is good to have.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    The D version includes DSP processing whis is good to have.
    Thanks after looking it up. I'll fork the extra for it. As you say better to have than wish you had later.

I think I'm gonna pull the trigger for everything lol.

The Barringer amp and the Mackie SRM's.

Thanks for the info conanski.

I used to be pretty good at all this. But since my system blew years back I've been out of the game and it seems I've lost all my very limited knowledge.