Thread: Subwoofer Coupling

Subwoofer Coupling

Hi all,

it's been a long time since I have posted here. I am wondering what the details are with coupling two subwoofers. What is the max distance apart you can have them while still benefiting from the free db boost? Does the free gain increase the closer you get them together or is it more of an all or nothing?

The reason I ask, is I want to couple them but when I do, they block my sign that is in front of my dj table. My sign is approximately 2 feet x 2 feet, so I am hoping i can place them on either side of my sign for visibility but still benefit from the coupling.

Thanks!

The basic rule is to have them either less than a quarter-wavelength apart or more than two wavelengths apart for their pass band, which for 40 to 100 Hz means less than 2.8 feet or more than 56 feet. In between those extremes it's not free dB boost that's the concern, it's outright cancellations, which are frequency determined not only by the distance that they're separated but by the positions of the listeners across the sound field.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Thanks, Bill!

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk