Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Volume control for single RCF subwoofer

The D in D-Contour stands for Dynamic, this means the amount of EQ applied depends upon the drive level at the speaker. At lower volumes EQ boost is at max and it gradually decreases to no EQ at full output.

I use the mon settings when the boxes are used that way but rarely use the FOH position as I find the boxes already have a scooped mids response, and there is no point boosting the lowend of the mains when subs are used... which is all the time for me.
    Last edited by conanski; 07-20-2021 at 08:47 AM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Manu...thanks for posting that link,it's a little clearer now on what those functions do. I will try tonight and hear if I can tell a difference with the DContour OFF...not a night and day difference from what I remember,but I will try again.Thanks.Keith
    Yeah I saw that, and I thought it would be a lot more thorough that what I could say so posted it. Looks like an active cutoff to save the speakers at higher volumes and prevent coil burn etc.

I generally use the FOH/Main (d-contour setting) when I use Yamaha tops stand alone, but often run them OFF (no boost) if using subs. I agree the Yamaha tops are mid scooped, but absolutely love them for music applications.
    Yamaha DXR15s - KX Audio (KV2) KX12s - RCF Art 310As - Yamaha DXR8s - Yamaha DXS12 subs (X2) - Wharfedale Titan 12A - Yamaha MG12/4 - Yorkville PGM8 - Peavey PV10 - Shure cordless - Stanton CD player - Sony Minidisc decks - LED lights - AMDJ dual SD player

I actually thought I heard the DSP switching while I was listening...could have been my imagination,but I thought I heard it switching a few times.
    I now have D Contour OFF.
    Is that possible for someone to actually hear the DSP switching in and out while listening? Thanks
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-21-2021 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Is that possible for someone to actually hear the DSP switching in and out while listening? Thanks
    No, it doesn't switch on and off it's continuously variable.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    It's going to depend if the sub output follows the main volume control or not, if it does once you have the level and crossover freq sorted you're good, but if it doesn't when you turn down the main volume the sub would still be thumping away. Only way to know is try it out and see.

For anyone still interested...I now have my Yamaha DXR10's being fed signal from my pre-amp Main Outs and my RCF subwoofer also running from the Sub Out on the P6,all via XLR.Cross-over on both are set at 80Hz right on the cross-over(s) dial on pre-amp.
    Main volume control works will all the tone controls,sub control also.
    I will play both at 80Hz for a while and see(hear) what it sounds like.
    Thanks,H50
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-25-2021 at 09:16 PM.

half-way volume (detent position) on cabs and sub...why?

Hi: I have always wondered why there is a definite detent position that is half way on the volume control on my Yamaha tops and my RCF sub.
    Is this some kind of reference point when setting up in an actual music or speaking event?
    I always run the cabs and sub at this 1/2 volume position,which seems loud enough for my 12x24 listening room,but am I depriving the sub and cabs from a full signal from my pre-amp.?..not sure?!
    Any trouble running all three at 1/2 throttle? Thanks,Huck

Yes, the center position is called Unity, that is the position where the preamp in the powered speaker is neither boosting or attenuating the input signal. This position also corresponds with the pro audio reference of +4dB, this usually means the amplifier in the speaker will reach full output with an input signal that reaches +4dB on the mains of the device(mixer, controller, processor) that is driving the speaker.

As you can see that position is not half throttle, it is the position the control should usually be set at. The reason there is an adjustment range at all is so that a range of input devices can be directly connected, dynamic microphones and consumer devices like phones need more signal boost than pro audio consoles, on some powered speakers like these Yamahas the back panel is effectively a small mixer.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Yes, the center position is called Unity, that is the position where the preamp in the powered speaker is neither boosting or attenuating the input signal. This position also corresponds with the pro audio reference of +4dB, this usually means the amplifier in the speaker will reach full output with an input signal that reaches +4dB on the mains of the device(mixer, controller, processor) that is driving the speaker.

As you can see that position is not half throttle, it is the position the control should usually be set at. The reason there is an adjustment range at all is so that a range of input devices can be directly connected, dynamic microphones and consumer devices like phones need more signal boost than pro audio consoles, on some powered speakers like these Yamahas the back panel is effectively a small mixer.
    Thanks,Huck