Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Volume control for single RCF subwoofer

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    Last question: Would I be better off going through the x-over on the RCF or going through the x-over(s) on the P6 pre-amp?
    It's going to depend if the sub output follows the main volume control or not, if it does once you have the level and crossover freq sorted you're good, but if it doesn't when you turn down the main volume the sub would still be thumping away. Only way to know is try it out and see.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    It's going to depend if the sub output follows the main volume control or not, if it does once you have the level and crossover freq sorted you're good, but if it doesn't when you turn down the main volume the sub would still be thumping away. Only way to know is try it out and see.
    I am pretty sure the sub output is controlled by the front panel sub control,but it could still be a "pain",say, if the wife is yelling.."turn that f*****g thing down" and I hit the main volume,but like you say,the sub will still be thumpin'...no bigee,two knobs to turn instead of one.
    I will have to buy her a wireless headphone so she can do her thing upstairs and me doin' my thing downstairs....easy fix!Thanks,Keith
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-11-2021 at 06:35 PM.

What cross-over setting should I use on each...my RCF sub has 80Hz and 120Hz..my Yamaha DXR8 tops have 100Hz and 120Hz...looking for the tightest bass(kick drum bass (thud) tight).Thanks
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-13-2021 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Huck50 View Post
    What cross-over setting should I use on each...my RCF sub has 80Hz and 120Hz..my Yamaha DXR8 tops have 100Hz and 120Hz...looking for the tightest bass(kick drum bass (thud) tight).Thanks
    Use the one that sounds best to you and works best with your room.

As for the problems you are having with your knob...

there are things available on the internets that can do what you want, just hunt around

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222553808159

https://www.frolicstudio.com/portfolio/smartians
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Use the one that sounds best to you and works best with your room.

As for the problems you are having with your knob...

there are things available on the internets that can do what you want, just hunt around

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222553808159

https://www.frolicstudio.com/portfolio/smartians
    Thanks! My knob problem was fixed with a new pre-amp with subwoofer level control.

Hi: I have one more question on cross-over points.
    Right now I am going straight from my controller XLR main outs to my subwoofer which has cross-over settings of 80 and 120Hz and from there straight to my Yamaha DXR10 tops which have cross-over settings of OFF,100 and 120Hz. Lets say I want to choose the 80Hz setting on the sub...which one do I pick for my tops?.Thanks
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-17-2021 at 03:26 PM.

I had a session of heavy listening just a while ago and found that all my Bass on my controller was turned right down,almost off and I still had loads of bass playing from my subwoofer,so maybe that can help someone tell me where my cross-overs should be set....I don't know?...they were both,tops and sub's crossover were set at 120Hz....like I stated before,my RCF sub has 80 and 120Hz and my Yamaha tops have 100 and 120Hz cross-over options.

One more thing I noticed was that the high-end seemed very tinny.Since the tops are getting a signal from the sub cross-over,would it be possible at all that signal going to my tops is degraded,since everything is going through the sub first,then to the tops? Thanks!
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-17-2021 at 08:59 PM.

Question Do you use the DSP D Contour on your Yamaha powered speakers?

Just wondering if you are using the DSP DContour on your Yamaha powered speakers.I can't really tell the difference when using any of the settings,maybe because I am not sure how they(DContour)settings are supposed to work.I have the manual,but can't understand how this D Contour setting(s) is supposed to function?...can someone explain? Thanks,Keith

Manu...thanks for posting that link,it's a little clearer now on what those functions do. I will try tonight and hear if I can tell a difference with the DContour OFF...not a night and day difference from what I remember,but I will try again.Thanks.Keith
    Last edited by Huck50; 07-20-2021 at 07:06 AM.