Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mackie SRM215 or something else?

Mackie SRM215 or something else?

Hi,

I am looking for a pair of speakers to use in my shop for my guys to listen to (they put in a lot of hours). The shop is roughly 30 x 60 feet and I won't be going with a sub. This isn't exactly a DJ question but the speakers I am looking at are.

The Mackie SRM215 have a 6 year warranty and will work with bluetooth. Budget is roughly $2000. These would serve double duty as speakers for pool parties and for my son to practice with (he wants to be a DJ but is only 14 so I am trying to encourage him).

ANy suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks for your help!!!

Personally, I would go with a medium-field speaker. Most PA speakers are far-field and most studio monitors are near-field speakers.
    Most hi-fi speakers (Especially floor standing) are medium-field speakers.

The only powered pro-audio speakers I can think of offhand is the Adam Audio S series 3-way studio monitors.
    Which are way out of your budget if buying new.
    S3V = $3,000 each
    S3H = $3,500 each
    S5V = $7,000 each
    S5H = $8,000 each

I would probably go with an installation speaker.
    Something like the Electro-Voice EVID series wall mount speakers.
    3.2 = $269 each
    4.2 = $329 each

Ideally, the EVID 6.2T which are $489 a pair with an internal 70 or 100 V line transformer. This lets you run as many as you want and have a volume control for each speaker.

Or get in-ceiling speakers and in-wall speakers are also a good option.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Quote Originally Posted by DCfromCapeCod View Post
    These would serve double duty as speakers for pool parties and for my son to practice with (he wants to be a DJ but is only 14 so I am trying to encourage him).
    Start him off with a shelf stereo or a tailgate speaker.
    Probably less than $300.
    If he takes an interest in mobile DJing he'll make enough money to buy powered Yamaha, Electro-Voice, or QSC PA speakers.

Thank you!

I have a lot of room to work with in the shop...a far-field PA won't work?

I would like to be able to move the speakers from shop to home if needed.

What about a pair of DZR15's?

Ty...

a far-field PA won't work?
    They will work but they won't sound as good as mid-field speakers.
    Powered indoor/outdoor speakers might be a good option. Those tend to be mid-field since they usually use a smaller woofer. (Usually about 4" to 8".)

If you want bass, add a sub.

Thank you but I can't fit a sub. The speakers will go on either end of a long shop about 50 feet apart. I read up on near field (1-2 meters) and mid-field (2-4 meters)...it was good learning.

Let me rephrase my question...are the Mackie SRM215 speakers (these are V-Class models) better in quality than other products they make or should I go with something like Yamaha DZR15s instead and add a BT input?

Thank you but I can't fit a sub.
    If you can fit SRM215s you can fit subs, because the non-directional output pattern of subs allows them to be placed pretty much anywhere. Then you can use ten or twelve inch tops, which are a lot easier to hang out of the way and move about than fifteens.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

There is no room for subs - this is a shop used for business...for custom car work. The speakers go into pre-built alcoves about 6 feet up the walls in the corners 50 feet apart. They are replacing older passive JBL's. All the floor space is dedicated to work related items.

I am just trying to get opinions if the V-Class Mackie's are poor quality like some of their cheaper models and/or I should just dump the cash and get the better Yamaha's (DZR15). They have a 6yr warranty vs 2 year for their cheaper models - almost on par with the Yamahas.

I appreciate the feedback.

Q. Are the Mackie speakers better in quality than other products they make or should I go with something like Yamaha?
    A. Yamaha, Electro-Voice, and QSC are currently the good brands for mid-priced PA speakers.

Myself personally I'm a JBL fan but with the exception of the VRX line, they don't offer good bang for your buck.

Thanks - basically looking for a pair of "party speakers" that run off BT to reward my guys at work and that my son can practice with.