Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mackie SRM215 or something else?

Not to belabor the point, but subs don't have to be placed on the floor, especially when placed in corners.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Yessir - I am aware. One aspect of my job is $10K+ car audio systems....I really don't have the room and I need the system to be portable in case I want to use it at home.

Portable, Bluetooth, high quality, $2000 (give or take) = ?

Do you have AC power at the speaker locations?
    The Bluethooth included in these things is worthless IMO, it might have a range of a 20-30ft and it's really no good for streaming audio.. there will be a lot of dropouts. If you want bluetooth put a reciever at a handy central location and run cables to the speakers.
    Powered speakers could be a bad idea for a shop too, the fans on the amp modules will pull in a lot of dust and dirt.
    Mackie speakers have a terrible reliability record as of late so I can't recommend them, but those Yamahas are fantastic, excellent sound and loads of power.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Yes, I have both power and 8ga speaker wire run. I had hoped that the Mackie SV series with the 6 year warranty would be better...the Mackie repair center said they hardly ever seethose models but they also said the Yamahas are the best around so it looks like those will win out. ty!

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    Powered speakers could be a bad idea for a shop too, the fans on the amp modules will pull in a lot of dust and dirt.
    I hadn't thought of that. Even more of a reason to go with a hi-fi system* or an install system.
    *Since the amp can be pretty much anywhere within (I'm guessing) 50 feet if the speaker wire gauge is low enough.

With an install system, I think the distance can be REALLY long.
    The PA system at our local Walmart was a really tiny 70-volt amplifier and it powered all of the speakers inside the whole building and about 6 or 8 outdoor horns. Plus the wires hanging off the speakers were super thin. (Like thinner than a table lamp's cord.)

Same thing with a factory I worked at. That building took up a whole block, yet the PA amp was about the same size as a QSC GX3.
    That's a huge building with super loud machinery.
    I don't have any idea how 70 volt systems work but they seem almost like magic when compared to a mobile PA system or a hi-fi system.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

A distributed sound system which is usually 70v or 100v, uses transformers in both the amp and the speakers, the load impedance the amp sees is rather high so the current delivered is low and as a result this system can span large distances with relatively small gauge speaker cables. The catch is that the transformers are usually undersized and not capable of handling low frequencies so this system is really only good for the vocal broadcasting.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by DCfromCapeCod View Post
    Yes, I have both power and 8ga speaker wire run.
    The 8ga speaker cables are no use to you with powered speakers, you need balanced XLR "mic" cables back to whatever is being used to control inputs. And just so you don't go and make an expensive mistake, DO NOT connect them to the speaker outputs of a power amplifier or powered mixer. What do you have to switch inputs and control levels in this system?
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Quote Originally Posted by conanski View Post
    The catch is that the transformers are usually undersized and not capable of handling low frequencies so this system is really only good for the vocal broadcasting.
    The music usually sounds good in office buildings that have 8" ceiling speakers. If you could figure out how to add a subwoofer to the system it would probably sound pretty good in the room that has a sub. It just wouldn't be as loud as a PA system.

I'm guessing a small cheap mixer that has both an RCA out for the 70v amp and a subwoofer RCA out for the subwoofer's amp. (Or a powered subwoofer with an RCA input.)

I've been in a few homes that have really good sounding in-wall speakers, and in-ceiling speakers.
    They even make in-wall subwoofers.
    The systems I've seen ran off of a home theater receiver.

0:54
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.