Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does anyone find it hard to get into artists who are younger than you are?

I'm in my 50's and play electronic music.. so yea the vast majority of what I play is by producers younger than me.. sure there are some excellent producers in my genre's of interest who have been at it longer than I have been.. who were the major influencers of the styles that were cool when I got into it.. sure, some of them are still around. But for the most part, the torch has been passed and it's the younger talents who are making the bulk of the music out there, and.. as always.. some of it's really mindblowing, some is pretty good.. and a bunch of it is crap! Just like it was in the old days

But what's really sad is that recently I found out that some of the musical giants that I have respected all these years.. like.. since childhood.. turn out to be completely terrible people. For example, I just found out that both Eric Clapton and Van Morrison are hideously racist and.. Van Morrison is an antisemite as well. Now that really sucks.. to find out that people you respected are actually terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    But what's really sad is that recently I found out that some of the musical giants that I have respected all these years.. like.. since childhood.. turn out to be completely terrible people.
    I was a huge fan of Ted Nugent from the late 1960s until the late 1980s.
    He turned out to be an extreme mix of David Duke and Jimmy Savile.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I used to be fan of that band that I will not name, because it's a bit political and would otherwise belong on the political thread. So that singer said one day Brexit (UK) would be great for the economy, would be great for the artists, and would be great for the British music industry in general. It turns out the whistle-blowers were right, the result is the complete opposite, and completely took the British artists out of the EU, instead given a nice big roll of red tape to play with.

The dude is supposed to be an extremely clever and accomplished person, a remarkable career, but that day was the day I stopped listening to the band. That day, my eye took a different look on the band's lyrics, and found them very narrowly obtuse and nationalistic in insidious ways. I had a good few decades listening to the band, but I cannot support fallacy in any way, shape or form, I abhor it...

Meanwhile, in the music industry,...

Elton John

I don’t think people in Britain were told the truth to start with … They were promised something that was completely ridiculous and wasn’t economically viable. [...] I’m ashamed of my country for what it has done. It’s torn people apart … I am sick to death of politicians, especially British politicians. I am sick to death of Brexit. I am a European. I am not a stupid, colonial, imperialist English idiot.
    And that's the story of how I don't mind Elton John, while I no longer buy or listen to what used to be a decades old favourite. Bit off-subject but here I am no longer listening to some who are older than me.
    Last edited by Manu; 10-25-2021 at 06:52 AM.

Now I want to know who it is....

And.. Elton John is awesome. He's not just a good musician, he's a legit prodigy. I grew up with his music, I still listen to it now.

Elton John is awesome.
    Kind of amazing just how underrated he is.

I don't know about UK's record sales but in the USA...
    #1 Elvis Presley
    #2 The Beatles
    #3 Elton John

Oh wow, I just looked it up and the list has changed over the years. Not sure when that happened.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._music_artists

#1 The Beatles
    #2 Elvis Presley
    #3 Michael Jackson
    #4 Elton John
    #5 Madonna
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Funny thing being the Michael Jackson estate owns the rights to the Beatles... Good on Madonna and Elton. That said I am sad to see Madonna pushing the limits of youth a little too far. That said also, still pulling that stuff off on stage at her age is absolute dedication, she reminds me of Tina Turner in some ways. Being on stage out there day after day (after months of rehearsals) is a gruelling thing.

Now I want to know who it is....
    I don't want to name and shame, because I don't want to throw some kind of shame on an entire band that I still respect. And also the fact that everyone is entitled to an opinion, however silly it turns out to be. It's somewhat a bit dejecting, I'm going to send you a private message instead. Another one that I am no longer listening to, is Mr. Marylin Manson. At this point it does not matter how good the music is when you go full creep. I am just utterly unable to disassociate the music from what's going on in the background.

I think McCartney got the rights back a few years ago, and Jackson sold 50% to Sony a while ago.

As for Elton, I think he is probably a monster to be around. All the stories of his ego and passing the devil's dandruff off as expenses on fancy floristry.
    Never really been into his music, but now, in my later life I can appreciate the talent in his earlier stuff. Must be getting old. Still not into the 80s/90s stuff he did apart from The Lion King, that sh!ts a stone cold club banger.

I remember from my days in the music industry...did the numbers on an Elton John number 1 record. Thanks for paying for my lunch, Reggie, even though to me it will always be a MFSB track.
    My boss went off to the Arabian Gulf to manage the finances of Mr Jackson ... and his amazing Sheik-funded comeback album. Well that didn't work out as planned...
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix