Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone find it hard to get into artists who are younger than you are?

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    I find it hard to get into most trendy music, especially at the moment. I find most of it awful.

Makes me wonder if I'm just an old git going on about "the good old days"....
    Or if I'm just not deaf yet.
    Here's a clue

Every dude and their dog have a laptop out there, and a hacked copy of fruity loops/reason/ableton/cubase/etc. And an internet connection.

Also, watch this guy, I watch his channel regularly, he has a knack of himself for going right to the point. No ageism involved here at all.

NoLifeShaq

"why the trashest rappers have the best beats?"

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    to be fair, your parents were probably more worried that the production capacity of IKEA would never keep up with the size of your collection.
    True that. They were probably relieved when I moved from home and they got 75% of their house back

I can't speak on the rap genre too much. The stuff i hear post 2010 makes me turn the channel w/ a quickness. But there are loads of electronic artists I envy. I'm in my 40s but everyone seems to be in their 30s or younger putting out new music, and I find endless stuff to enjoy. Not DJ so and so, but producers. And if you can do both in quality like Bonobo, Jamie XX, etc you definitely have my admiration.

Does anyone find it hard to get into artists who are younger than you are?

EVERY ARTIST is younger than me. If I was not into artists younger than me, I would have had to give up music 40 years ago.😂 I have nothing against young artists. I just don’t like RAP. I like beautiful melodies and singers who can carry a tune. I like lyrics that have at least some redeemable qualities. I had to change genres because I could not bring myself play violent poetry loaded with curse words and racial slurs. I switched to playing jazz, country music, modern swing, Latin music, and instrumentals, along with occasional pop. It limited my gigs for sure, but I found a niche in doing benefits, charity fund raisers, and political fund raisers. No... it’s not as much fun as doing dances, but it kept me going until the Covid shutdown. Now I’m retired... from everything!😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow.... so this is like really a thing? This ruined my day! Have you ever watched the movie Ideocracy? Cause we are here...

As my 65th birthday is about to hit in a couple of weeks, just about every artist out there is younger than I am.

There's probably some truth to when you get older, it's harder to get into the newer stuff. However, I really don't have any problem with new stuff that is actually good! Hence, my conclusion is that I have developed taste rather than just getting old.

i think one of the problems is that the older music was drawing from a long rich musical tradition but as each style has its moment the industry then wants to push forward looking for something new, so as to have a new selling point. Producers and Labels often don't want to be seen to be reproducing something that has already been done. so there is a constant need for new musical fads creating a degenerative effect in terms of the quality of the music. also this trend of artists trying to outdo each other on who can be the most vulgar which itself is getting kinda old now.

but i don't mind younger artists per se, if it's good it's good
    but oftentimes with new music, the fact that it is new and trending is THE attraction, and you just know it's going to have a super short shelf life.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 10-06-2021 at 05:09 AM.

In the UK, there's that Jesy Nelson girl who's been promoting her upcoming single for two years straight, after divorcing her previous manufactured girl band so she could go have a solo career. So yeah, it's been two years of a career on social media, but the single is finally out. It's going to feature Nicky Minaj, and I can't wait to not listen to it. Super short shelf life, how about getting laughed at straight into the bargain bin full of pop graveyard ready tunes.
    Last edited by Manu; 10-07-2021 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PONTUS.2 View Post
    so im getting older... i remember posting on DJ forums version 1 as maybe a 20 or 21 year old. Im 34 now

One thing im kind of noticing is that it seems kind of hard to get into music artists who are younger than me. Not that i dont like any of their music, but i find myself wishing they were older than me so i could actually look up to them.
    Hi, it's not just age that commands respect, but talent!