Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone find it hard to get into artists who are younger than you are?

Does anyone find it hard to get into artists who are younger than you are?

so im getting older... i remember posting on DJ forums version 1 as maybe a 20 or 21 year old. Im 34 now

One thing im kind of noticing is that it seems kind of hard to get into music artists who are younger than me. Not that i dont like any of their music, but i find myself wishing they were older than me so i could actually look up to them.

i still support and like a lot of younger artists but not exactly like i would if they were older...

danny brown, action bronson, westside gunn, benny the butcher for example are all older which im glad about.
    flatbush zombies, joey badass, tyler the creator for example i like but dont look up to them because of their age.

anyone else kind of feel the same way? I almost think that when they say older generations dont like younger generations music is not because of its style or quality, but because they cant look up to younger artists the way they would ones their age or older.

What I cannot possibly stand these days, is all those rappers sounding exactly the same. Looks and sounds like they discovered triplets one day, and their whole flow delivery got stuck at that. And there's quite a bunch of them so called rappers doing that, nothing but triplets. It's dull, it's not creative, it's boring.

I found a clip of a Snoop Dogg podcast and 50 Cent to illustrate exactly what I mean.

Last edited by Manu; 06-21-2021 at 05:38 AM.

lol ive seen that clip before.
    true that there is a lot of rappers whos flow style is exactly like this.

flatbush zombies are pretty great in that a lot of their music is southern style, slow beats that would normally be rapped to that way by many others but their rap style isnt like that.

Ninja from Die Antwoord nailed it when he called them a bunch of inbreeds who sound all exactly the same.

I posted this guy in the hip hop section, because I just can't. Watched an interview of the guy saying he doesn't use autotune, when it's clearly autotuned to hell and back.

Behold,

I can't take this seriously, some say it's lit but I think that rhymes with something else

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Ninja from Die Antwoord nailed it when he called them a bunch of inbreeds who sound all exactly the same.

I posted this guy in the hip hop section, because I just can't. Watched an interview of the guy saying he doesn't use autotune, when it's clearly autotuned to hell and back.

Behold,

I can't take this seriously, some say it's lit but I think that rhymes with something else

on the gamefaqs forum theyre calling that style "squeaky rap" lol

Quote Originally Posted by PONTUS.2 View Post
    on the gamefaqs forum theyre calling that style "squeaky rap" lol
    That is the dumbest "style" I've heard in a long time. Drunk Mickey Mouse set to a lazy beat.

Maybe I'm just showing my age.

Last edited by KLH; 06-24-2021 at 08:52 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Sorry I don't feel like being guilty of ageism here. Chipmunk dude's music is right down there in terms of faecal references, the end.

And for the dabada babada badadee badadaah bohbohduh stuff, I'm glad to have seen that the Dogg himself says exactly the same.

I find it hard to get into most trendy music, especially at the moment. I find most of it awful.

Makes me wonder if I'm just an old git going on about "the good old days"....
    Or if I'm just not deaf yet.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

There's a a lot of weird music out there now. Which is probably what my parents were thinking when I was listening to house and hip hop back in the 80s an 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post

There's a a lot of weird music out there now. Which is probably what my parents were thinking when I was listening to house and hip hop back in the 80s an 90s.
    to be fair, your parents were probably more worried that the production capacity of IKEA would never keep up with the size of your collection.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix