Thread: Got a Chauvet Intimidator 110 scanner? I have a setup problem...

Question Got a Chauvet Intimidator 110 scanner? I have a setup problem...

There is something weird about the Intimidator 110 scanner that I can't figure out, and I am unsure if I am doing something wrong, or if it's actually junk. I know this isn't high end gear, but it's for yucks at home... if I can solve this problem, it will meet my needs fine.

Basically, the mirror tilts down way too far. When it's in auto mode, it spends about a third of the time with all or most of the light hitting the case, like this:

https://i.imgur.com/gpbrh8Q.png

Well OK, it has a motion "fine tuning" feature, right? So I punch in numbers to try and reign in the tilt... and nothing happens.

The fine tuning values are definitely saved, I can navigate back to the fine tuning menu and see them. But when it is in Show mode (Auto or Sound) the fine tuning values don't seem to change anything. I've set both Pan and Tilt fine tuning to extreme values and I cannot see any change in the automatic Show mode behavior.

I'm not using a DMX controller right now, I need to use the auto function for a while. I am suspicious that auto mode won't respect the fine tuning settings.

If I can't resolve this it's going to get returned, since the frequent break in the lighting when it looks too far down is really obnoxious.

If you've dealt with this I would sure appreciate a lead! Thanks in advance.

Moving fixtures are almost useless without DMX control as the light beam will be everywhere but where you want it most of the time, that said it would seem there is something wrong with that unit.. or it's just poorly designed.
    Is this fixture new? If so I'd suggest returning it for something else.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks @conanski, I did decide to return it. Chauvet tech support said it might be defective and also suggested returning it... but I realized even if it was working properly it still sucked for my needs.

On doing more research I think it's actually working as intended, which is too bad. It's decent hardware. If they put just a little more effort into the software the auto-show could have been useful.

I decided to replace it with an ADJ Pocket Pro spot. It is more capable fixture once I do have DMX, and it has auto-show modes which do restrict the range of motion. I can make do with a half-assed auto show at first ... I'm just having a silly house party ... but the Chauvet was not even up to that standard.

Quote Originally Posted by kennystone View Post
    Thanks for recommending ADJ Pocket Pro
    I really like mine, how did it work out for you?