Thread: technics sl1200mk2 tonearm balancing/counterweight issue

technics sl1200mk2 tonearm balancing/counterweight issue

So i recently bought a used 1200 and noticed that I could only dial in 2g of tracking force before the counterweight ran out room on the tonearm. I remember the seller pointing out that the tonearm/weight was uncalibrated, although I assumed that he just meant that the tracking force reading was not dialed in correctly. There is a thread on here that addresses the issue -->http://www.djforums.com/forums/showthread.php?29107-Technics-1210-can-t-put-enough-weight-on-the-tonearm<--. One replier points out a certain "weight" that screws in to the end of the tonearm and to remove this, but there is no picture to refer to. Other than the counterweight, I do not know of any other "weight" that screws in to the tonearm. I could always just superglue pennies to the headshell, but wanted to find a less unorthodox solution.

I could only dial in 2g of tracking force before the counterweight ran out room on the tonearm
    Has it been mounted the wrong way round?

I could always just superglue pennies to the headshell
    Blutack. Original headshells can have a +2g weight screwed on.

There's sometimes an auxiliary weight attached at the back of the tonearm, which should only be used with very heavy cartridges, not with DJ cartridges. Check if it's attached to your turntable.

I made a reply on the other thread you posted in as well, but I figured I might as well post that here as well.

With the turntable there should be an extra headshell weight, that mounts between the headshell and the cartridge. It's often is missing when buying a used turntable:

With the newer m3d and upwards there's a screw on weight for the headshell:

With lighter cartridges like Ortofons it might be hard to get enough tracking force without it.