Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to visually recognize downbeats in tracks?

Any way to visually recognize downbeats in tracks?

Hey guys, for some reason wearing headphones never feels comfortable for me so to listen to a track to find the downbeat is always a problem for me. I am not a commercial DJ, I only spin music for my buds whenever hanging out and I like being part of the hangout too and not spend every second at the rig.

I was wondering if there might be a way to visually see[recognize] the 1st downbeats of a track in the waveform even in the Intros of a tune?

p.s. I know basic beat matching and finding downbeats and setting cue points and all that. I figure if I can pull up a track from by bud's collection and be able to see the downbeat then I can simply very quickly set it where I need it.
    Last edited by mystical; 05-27-2021 at 07:06 AM.

Buy Serato DJ.

I have Serato DJ Pro but to me it's the same as Traktor and other software's, looking at the waveforms alone is not always enough to see which is the downbeat?

I was just looking at this video I found here where the guy is not using a headphone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH6GK90hYME

I guess I can try out those methods even though at the 8.30 mark he is speeding up the incoming track to match, shouldn't it be quicker and equally as good to simply use the jogwheel for this?

I see he's not using DJ gear either, nevermind the lack of jog wheels. Besides that's an advert disguised as a tutorial. I'd rather look at Ellaskins for beatmatching lessons https://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins

I cannot recommend ways to circumvent established traditional ways of DJing. I understand the concept of looking at a waveform, but I don't see how it would supersede using your ears, because it's sound. IE thinking in reverse, you don't play video games relying on sound only.

I have seen many DJ's beat match live without using any headphones at all and without having set cue points but I don't know how they do this without previewing the incoming tracks [live]

Quote Originally Posted by mystical View Post
    I have seen many DJ's beat match live without using any headphones at all and without having set cue points but I don't know how they do this without previewing the incoming tracks [live]
    there's 4 ways of doing this:
    1. Know your tracks and the BPM so you can pitch them correctly pre-prepared to mix.
    2. Look at the mixer level meter to see when it peaks to get an idea of where the beats are and help line it up.
    3. Have jedi-level DJ skills. (it aint that hard...a few rounds in dark clubs, on belt drives with a half-broken mixer will help)
    4. Cheat. Have some DJ software match the BPMs or even Sync the tracks.

there is a fifth way. its called using all of the above - any working dj uses whatever is in front of them to get the job done.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

There are two problems with relying on the software:

* Software can miss analyze the track and apply the wrong tempo/BPM
    * Tracks can remove the downbeat

Training your ears addresses both of these items.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by mystical View Post
    They probably have their cue points pre set, their tracks just start with the downbeat or they know their tracks well enough to set the cue points on the fly.

aka the 130 bpm DJs with pre arranged tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    2. Look at the mixer level meter to see when it peaks to get an idea of where the beats are and help line it up.[/B]
    I'm going to try this out but yes I get all that you guys are saying thanks.