Thread: Resurrecting myself!

Talking Resurrecting myself!

Hi.

About 6 years ago I started mobile DJing and quite enjoyed it.
    Unfortunately, I went through a heart issue meaning I could no longer carry heavy equipment up and down stairs etc, and I had to quit.
    I was also getting seriously disillusioned with the amount of idiots I was forced to endure at an increasing number of gigs. Pissed out of their minds, intent on getting every song thats in their head played, and hanging all night on my shoulder insisting they knew exactly how to get everyone jumping! It on occasion made the nights unpleasant and took the enjoyment out of a gig.

However, I held on to my equipment and kind of missed the environment. Health wise Im in a far better place now, and more importantly a younger pal of mine is joining up with me, more as some muscle for moving gear, and generally assisting at the gigs.

So, armed with my previous hands on experience, I have decided to relaunch myself on an unsuspecting world!
    This time, I have the benefit of hindsight, and started off 2 months ago listing all the upsides and downsides of my previous stint. Where I could improve, and what way I wanted to conduct business.

I was adamant that I would not make the same mistakes this time round. So first off, I have had all of my equipment set up in the spare room for the last 6 weeks to not only relearn everything, but also tweak where needed. To this end, I have converted 95% of my lighting fixtures to wireless DMX. I remember looking at this years ago in its fledgling days and thinking how great that would be, but how expensive Wireless DMX fixtures were. There was no way I was going to start replacing perfectly good fixtures no matter how good Wireless DMX was.
    I now have a 9 piece Donner DMX kit, but I have also just completed a built in DMX module update to virtually all of my lights. I also have battery powered Wireless dmx Uplighters to complete the wireless set up. This has been flawless in operation and I have cut out literally a ton of DMX cabling. I now have 4x wash fixtures, 3x megabars, 4x moving heads, 2x centre piece fixtures, 2x ADJ Revos's, 2x lasers and 6x uplighters all Wireless DMX. Apart from that cable reduction, I no longer suffer the flaky connection issues I had with failing cables.
    From that base, I used my MyDMX software and completely redone all of my light shows which is now on another level given I have 2 uplit speaker stands with scrims, and 2 uplit Lighting T Bars with scrims that I can now place anywhere.
    All the wiring on my main truss has been redone, using IEC splitters to each fixture then daisy chained to 1 outlet. Very tidy and all zip wired to the bars.
    My Shure Wireless Mic system now sits in its own 4U flight case along with a power conditioner and drawer. Wiring spaghetti is now reduced to a minimum and setup and teardown times will be halved as a result.
    I have also purchased a trolley which should see most of my equipment rolled into suitable venues in 1 or 2 runs max.
    A big annoyance I had previously was transporting equipment, (lights in particular) that were not in protective bags or boxes. So I have spent a lot of money on padded bags and a few extra small flight cases to ensure everything is covered in transit.
    To top it all, I have better addressed my music files and I am currently working on new business cards and social media advertising to get launched again.

From experience, I am hoping to focus more on Wedding functions and larger events.
    I done a lot of birthday parties etc, and where I am located in the UK, they are not paying enough for the effort put in whereas weddings tend to allow a higher charge and the ability to upsell to a Photo Booth etc.

Anyway. Hoping to gain some much needed insight from the DJ forums into the industry as it is today. Ive enjoyed reading posts over the last few weeks, and have a few now of my own to make as I try to find my feet again after 6 years out of the game!

Wish me luck!!

Good luck! You'll find many DJs are in the same boat.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...