Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where can I purchase "legal" music "collections" please?

Where can I purchase "legal" music "collections" please?

Hey guys, someone I know lost his music collection and is asking if I can help him get back his 700-s to 90's music. Specifically he said:

like motown and all the dance floor hits from 70's and all the pop and r&b 80's and 90's albums 12 inch remixes all that.
    I have been checking with different people and get different answers regarding Copyright laws. Some are saying only through joining a Record Pool can you get legal music so I contacted a couple of pools who said they don't have for download like that. They said one can only download individual tracks so any way I might be able to help this person please?

I have a pretty good collection which I have built from since digital music became available but far as I am being told I cannot sell him anything from "my" collection?

Hard drive failure and no backups?

If he had acquired his previous downloads legally, then he should not have a problem downloading them again.

If this thread is about how to acquire another hard drive full of songs at black market prices then: DjForums does not condone piracy and this thread is about to get closed. Please see the FAQ before posting.

someone I know
    Who's that? Asking for a friend.

like motown
    should have started with Motown.

https://classic.motown.com/

as I am being told I cannot sell him anything from "my" collection?
    Unless it is original vinyl or CD copies, no. You don't own the music.
    Last edited by Manu; 05-03-2021 at 09:48 AM.

No, this thread is is not to purchase music on a hdd, that is precisely why I created this thread, to learn what's legal and what's not and if I might help this person in any way even if giving advice. It's for a stranger.

So first thing is, there is no record pool or source to get everything he wants, is this correct and that he will need to get the different genre's from different sources? I am thinking maybe like "Time Life" collections which should be legal?
    Last edited by mystical; 05-03-2021 at 10:02 AM.

There is no single one source to provide all music from all eras. Thank God for that or it would be called a monopoly, and Apple (iTunes) is under Europe's Supreme Court radar for attempting just that recently (and trying to grab market from spotify).

Your friend will have to do some digging again. can't be that hard finding some motown compilation CDs. 12 inch remixes are supposed to be printed on 12 inch records. I remember DMC done tons of those over decades.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Motown-Comp...984/bn_3306246

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motown-Comp...in%3A340374031

https://www.discogs.com/Various-100-...elease/4862566

https://store.dmcworld.com/products/...otlegs-remixes

https://store.dmcworld.com/search?ty...classic+motown

If you type Motown classics in any search engines, it's going to give hundreds of results.
    Last edited by Manu; 05-03-2021 at 10:40 AM.

I see, thanks for those links, will relay. I am going to try searching for different "Compilations" since I am not seeing any way to purchase like billboard top 100 for each year.

You would be surprised while doing some digging. Getting compilations at fair prices is quite easy. Recently I scored a DVD live of BB. King AND James Brown on stage, could not believe my eyes. Paid 2 bucks for it.

Happy hunting...

I almost forgot the obvious: if you have any local serious record shops, they might be able to give another few pointers...

This is why I used to love google play music when it was around.
    Easy free backup of up to 50K songs.
    I dunno if youtube music has this feature, it would take some digging to find a similar "free" or "close to free" service.
    These days I have a few backup drives scattered around.
    And I'll be investing in a big drive for the PS5 shortly (curse those drive-thirsty games), so that'll free up it's present 1TB drive for more backups of backups.

Lessons learned from my first 1TB drive sh!tting the carpet about 10 years ago.

As for legit sources... nope, you gotta dig. The world is so revolved around streaming that buying a collection is pretty much impossible legally. And as DJs, you gotta have a collection, streaming just doesn't cut the mustard atm.
    Last edited by pete; 05-03-2021 at 12:12 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post

Lessons learned from my first 1TB drive sh!tting the carpet about 10 years ago.
    Dude, you just reminded me of why I have a 1TB backup on my main computer, and 1TB on my second computer, and 1TB on the backup computer

Jokes aside, Mr Mystical is in NY. Honestly I'd go out and shop so hard, and I have indeed scored so many from the local shops. When I just tell people I have a Live DVD of James Brown and BB King, they freak out like there is no way in hell you have such a thing etc. Go dig and find the gems people... 4xCD (or more) compilations are the best, you score on average 100 tunes minimum, in second hand music shops they're cheap as chips.

5char
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.