Thread: Phono Mixer to XLR Monitor - Will It Work..?

Phono Mixer to XLR Monitor - Will It Work..?

Hi all.
    Having recently decided to get into vinyl dj'ing, I’m slowly collecting my equipment. I have a simple, two-channel mixer with phono connections, and last week bought two PreSonus Eris E8 monitors which have 3 types of connection - RCA Unbalanced, TRS and XLR.
    Anyway, the seller chucked in some XLR cables, which from my research, is the best connection in terms of preventing external interference. So, the best way to connect... I was thinking about either changing my mixer (which I’d rather keep) to one with two XLR outputs, but it seems to be difficult to find one with a crossfader. The other option is to buy dual phono to XLR cables, but these would appear to be susceptible to interference as they’re unbalanced.
    Has anyone else encountered the same problem, or can anyone offer advice on the best way forward? Thanks.

There is no such thing as interference over just 2 meters of cable.

Buy dual phono to XLR cables

You will be fine with unbalanced phono cables if the lengths are relatively short... 4-6ft for example. The XLR cables won't help prevent noise with your equipment since the mixer doesn't have balanced outputs. If you do decide to upgrade your mixer there are lots of DJ mixers with XLR outputs, just depends if you are looking at battle style or rack mount.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Okay, thanks for that. I bought the dual phono to xlr cables today, and they work fine. I bought 3m length, which might present a noise problem, but they were inexpensive so I’ll pop back tomorrow and get some 1.5m ones as back-up, just in case.

Ok pretty good

Good job on getting a backup as well... I'd recommend plugging the shorter ones in and keep the longest as backup. In terms on transmitting the signal to the amplification, shorter is always better, but keep in mind to not stress the cable.