Thread: Today's music SUCKS for dancing!!!

Today's music SUCKS for dancing!!!

What happened to the good old days when hit song after hit song had either a really good fast or slow dance beat? With too few exceptions, today's music is too slow to fast dance to and too fast to slow dance to. Maybe I'm getting old... well, I AM getting old... but that doesn't change the fact that it is becoming harder and harder to find a consistent supply of current mainstream popular songs that I can pop on at a wedding that everyone knows and everyone can easily dance to.

Quote Originally Posted by Galager View Post
    With too few exceptions, today's music is too slow to fast dance to and too fast to slow dance to.
    Kids have been shuffling to Hardcore and DNB since the 1990s.
    It has remand popular because so many exercise classes like the dance style because it burns a lot of calories.

Just play oldies for the old people to dance to.
    If you have a crowd that doesn't any healthy people there probably won't be any shuffling on the dance floor.

Shuffling to The Logical Song
    3:56

Country music is a good genre for people who can't dance.
    Line dancing is easy for those from 8 to 80.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

The problem is that real dancing, which can probably be best described as a choreography between two or more people, is becoming a lost art. Jumping up and down, one hand in the air, a phone or drink in the other, is NOT dancing. Sure, it can still be a great event or party, but it's not dancing - current music is simply catering to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    The problem is that real dancing, which can probably be best described as a choreography between two or more people, is becoming a lost art.
    So you consider the Hokey Pokey, the Macarena, and the Chicken Dance as real dancing.
    And tap dancing, shuffling, clogging, and ballet as NOT real dancing.

Let me guess... you are a paid professional dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    So you consider the Hokey Pokey, the Macarena, and the Chicken Dance as real dancing.
    And tap dancing, shuffling, clogging, and ballet as NOT real dancing.
    AS A DJ, sadly I have played the Macarena and the Chicken Dance.
    AS A DJ, happily I have never played for tap dancing, clogging, or ballet.

I am fortunate that I DJ for a Latin Social group. They are dancing fools - Salsa, Merengue, Bachata - like a Duracell battery, they just keep going!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanginon View Post
    I am fortunate that I DJ for a Latin Social group. They are dancing fools - Salsa, Merengue, Bachata - like a Duracell battery, they just keep going!!
    When I was a kid when I went to wedding receptions the dance floor would pack with older people whenever a Big Band (Swing) song played.
    Because they were into ballroom dancing.
    A lot of kids would also dance to Swing songs since most schools taught ballroom dancing and square dancing.

BTW
    I've never heard a Square Dance song played at a wedding reception.
    Even though my sister and her husband were really into square dancing.
    They are still in a square dancing group that is always going to different states to dance.

Quote Originally Posted by Galager View Post
    What happened to the good old days when hit song after hit song had either a really good fast or slow dance beat? With too few exceptions, today's music is too slow to fast dance to and too fast to slow dance to. Maybe I'm getting old... well, I AM getting old... but that doesn't change the fact that it is becoming harder and harder to find a consistent supply of current mainstream popular songs that I can pop on at a wedding that everyone knows and everyone can easily dance to.
    Because it doesn't exist today - not like it used to. What happened? Well......a long time ago a company named Sony came out with a nifty little personal music playback system that was totally portable called the Walkman. That was in 1979 and it played cassette tapes. The consumer music industry had matured through the 60's, 70's and 80's rapidly. Still moving rapidly today, only away from where it once was. The 70's were the golden age of analog audio, things transitioned in the 80's not only the music style with punk and new wave as well as the club dance stuff. Much of that was driven by the creation of the polyphonic synthesizers and the advent of the compact disc of CD. Originally, the CD was reputed to have a lower noise floor, and greater dynamic range that the vinyl LP's.

The nail in the coffin of hifi and music we once knew was the advent of the .mp3 file - once it's digitized it can be chopped up. Where there were once local and national chain hifi stores such as Circuit City, The Federated Group, Pacific Stereo that sold high end audio systems for consumers are no longer. FM radio is not a viable market for a band to release new work as it once was. It's all about downloads onto a chip 1/2 the size of a postage stamp. The high end audio consumer market died in the 90's, by 2000 and era of Napster it was in large part gone. Headphones and plastic computer speakers, now bluetooth wireless stuff rules the world of personal music.

Hi end sound isn't a requirement these days - so an artist can make money without it. Even if you have high end audio source material today, the systems to play it on are not mainstream as they once were. Most stuff that places like Best Buy carry are packaged up junk. With much of the shredded low end .mp3 stuff out there it doesn't matter.

Not dissing here or bashing - it's the way things have gone. I'm wondering when the CD market will dry up. Maybe like vinyl, maybe it will hang around as a niche market - hopefully so, I like CD quality audio and have the gear to listen to it in all it's glory.
    Last edited by SWS Productions; 05-07-2021 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWS Productions View Post
    Because it doesn't exist today - not like it used to. What happened? Well......a long time ago a company named Sony came out with a nifty little personal music playback system that was totally portable called the Walkman. That was in 1979 and it played cassette tapes. The consumer music industry had matured through the 60's, 70's and 80's rapidly. Still moving rapidly today, only away from where it once was. The 70's were the golden age of analog audio, things transitioned in the 80's not only the music style with punk and new wave as well as the club dance stuff. Much of that was driven by the creation of the polyphonic synthesizers and the advent of the compact disc of CD. Originally, the CD was reputed to have a lower noise floor, and greater dynamic range that the vinyl LP's.

The nail in the coffin of hifi and music we once knew was the advent of the .mp3 file - once it's digitized it can be chopped up. Where there were once local and national chain hifi stores such as Circuit City, The Federated Group, Pacific Stereo that sold high end audio systems for consumers are no longer. FM radio is not a viable market for a band to release new work as it once was. It's all about downloads onto a chip 1/2 the size of a postage stamp. The high end audio consumer market died in the 90's, by 2000 and era of Napster it was in large part gone. Headphones and plastic computer speakers, now bluetooth wireless stuff rules the world of personal music.

Hi end sound isn't a requirement these days - so an artist can make money without it. Even if you have high end audio source material today, the systems to play it on are not mainstream as they once were. Most stuff that places like Best Buy carry are packaged up junk. With much of the shredded low end .mp3 stuff out there it doesn't matter.

Not dissing here or bashing - it's the way things have gone. I'm wondering when the CD market will dry up. Maybe like vinyl, maybe it will hang around as a niche market - hopefully so, I like CD quality audio and have the gear to listen to it in all it's glory.
    I agree with all this 100% - for the average consumer, CONVENIENCE rules over sound quality. We now have no-moving-parts with the exception of the electro-magnetic transducers (speakers), which are made as small as possible, and absolutely do not defy the Laws of Physics with their Kazoo like sound. Many mobile DJ's also try to avoid (unsuccessfully) having to bring subwoofers.

I am old enough to have lived through the era of High End Analog Audio. Expensive, big, a PIA to maintain, and wife unfriendly - but glorious sound.

However, I think the OP is referring to the Performance itself, not really the sound quality.
    Last edited by Hanginon; 05-08-2021 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWS Productions View Post

The nail in the coffin of hifi and music we once knew was the advent of the .mp3 file ot mainstream as they once were. Most stuff that places like Best Buy carry are packaged up junk. With much of the shredded low end .mp3 stuff out there it doesn't matter.

Not dissing here or bashing
    I have been saying that for years, and many dissed me for being some sort of precious format person. The other nail is youtube, anyone with an internet connection can throw quality out of the window and get free unlimited music. One of my best friends demonstrated this to me on his little bluetooth pioneer cube streaming from his phone, looked at me and said "the sound quality is great isn't it?". That's when I said, dude, it sounds like morning ass farts generated by a beer hangover (scuse my French but that's what I said). When I played him music and movies from my high end system using genuine non compressed formats, his jaw dropped and stayed on the floor.

For the record, I went to the record shop and bought another CD this week. I don't see the point of buying a whole high end system just to play a crappy format on it.

Techmoan just made a mention of that, sound quality versus convenience in his very latest video:

Last edited by Manu; 05-08-2021 at 08:10 AM.