Thread: Where to get old house music?

Where to get old house music?

I have some old tape casettes that i want to convert to digital
    these are some classic house music mixes by local DJs from the early 1990s
    but alas, the sound quality has deteriorated on them to a pretty bad state

these mixes were legendary in my city in terms of how many people used to have them and listen to them

so im thinking of basically trying to find out the names of the songs and then buy them up in digital format and recreate the mixtapes just as they were originally mixed in order to post them online, at least so that myself and my friends can listen to them (crediting the original Dj and all the rest)

but where do i actually go to get this old music?

also if i put the mixes up here, would anyone be up for guessing the song names? I can shazam some of it, but not all of it.
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-14-2021 at 09:40 AM.

I would say discogs is your best source (and for some your only option) but good luck finding the names. Maybe reach out to a veteran pro DJ on Twitter and ask them to ID some clips?

If you do go that route, I'd avoid sending full videos and would make a sound cloud account to upload the snippets of audio.

It all depends on the tracks.
    Rare white labels that were never officially released, well you won't be able to buy digital versions, you'll have to hunt through Discogs or eBay or whatever.
    Other, more well known tracks will either be available to buy as Mp3 or you'll have to hunt the relevant CD. Discogs will help.
    If you need help on identifying a track, either post it here or youtube (careful of that copyright) or whatever, to get some free input.
    But at the end of the day, the charm of these old cassettes is that they are old and of their time.
    Trying to spend hours lining up the mixes and giving it a modern polish will never feel the same as hearing it on a 20quid ghetto blaster after returning from the clubs in 1992.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Trying to spend hours lining up the mixes and giving it a modern polish will never feel the same as hearing it on a 20quid ghetto blaster after returning from the clubs in 1992.
    oh I agree, but i wil be uploading the original tapes too, if my friends want that muffled, crackling, poor signal to noise ratio, dropping out on one speaker experience with a video of the tape turning (i do love audio technology, theres something about turning wheels that just feels right when i listen to music

I got off to a good start with shazam , but alas i have nowhere near enough tracks to do the mix yet, i shazammed 6 of the tracks i think, so far

here is a link to the mix
    https://vimeo.com/537331359
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-15-2021 at 11:21 AM.

Damn this like the old the sasha stuff. Its like I have every tune on the tip of my tongue, but back then....there were so many tracks out every week...and every DJ had their own little set of tracks.

Most of the stuff is certainly UK with some New York stuff in there too. Check labels like "6x6 Records" or "Network Records".

Sadly, I can only get the last few straight away without having to do some real inspector gadget sh!t.

capricorn 20hz
    goodmen give it up
    jaydee plastic dreams
    Stefano Secchi We Are Easy to Love
    Motiv8 - Rockin' for myself
    Last edited by pete; 04-15-2021 at 02:40 PM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Damn this like the old the sasha stuff. Its like I have every tune on the tip of my tongue, but back then....there were so many tracks out every week...and every DJ had there on little set of tracks.

Most of the stuff is certainly UK with some New York stuff in there too. Check labels like "6x6 Records" or "Network Records".

Sadly, I can only get the last few straight away without having to do some real inspector gadget sh!t.

capricorn 20hz
    goodmen give it up
    jaydee plastic dreams
    Stefano Secchi We Are Easy to Love
    Motiv8 - Rockin' for myself
    yea , its hard to describe how significant these tapes were , because they circulated locally, so in my small city in ireland everyone had tapes of the local DJs, thats what we partied with in our houses, along with bootleg recordings from the DJs in the UK clubs

those are exactly the same song names I have from it
    only i have these aswell
    Mato grosso - Jungle (remix)
    Groove Sector - Love Attack (Contagious Club Mix

Groove Sector - Come On Get My Rhythm (Cadence Club Mix)
    Secret Knowledge - Sugar Daddy
    The Land of Flux (Extended Mix)

i think that is nearly half of the mix

the motiv8 one must be an unusual remix, because the versions im getting dont sound much like what we are looking for.
    EDIT its this
    Motiv 8 - Rockin' For Myself (Original White Label Mix) (1993)

there were so many tracks out every week...and every DJ had their own little set of tracks.
    yeah, like, I was listening to that music 24/7 in those days, yet ,if i pull up a playlist on youtube of 1992/3/4 house music, its easy that i will get a playlist where I havent heard a single one of the tunes before.

i have found someone who knows the DJ, and actually they told me he doesnt have much of the music anymore ,that he used to have. But im going to see if i can get to talk to him. Im sure he would be pleased to know that someone still values his mix 28 years later (in the era where DJ mixes dont really seem to carry much value anymore )
    Last edited by pete; 04-15-2021 at 02:41 PM.

ok i have done some further detective work and i have narrowed it down to this :-)

just 6 songs away from a complete mix

1. unknown
    2. Groove Sector - Come On Get My Rhythm (Cadence Club Mix)
    3. Brothers Love Dubs - 1-800-MING
    4. Klaus - Break Not Down
    5. 13:00 unknown "beebeedoobap"
    6. Gary Clail / Justin Robertson - These Things Are Worth Fighting For (Lion Rock Mix IV)
    7. 19:00 unknown "you need it you got it"
    8. 23:00 unknown "Here we go, aha"

9. 3 of us - The Land of Flux (Extended Mix)
    10. 27:00 "we got to move this " " going on"
    11. mother - all funked up (paul bleasedale)
    12. 34:00 unknown "musica"
    13. Mato grosso - Jungle (remix)
    14. Groove Sector - Love Attack (Contagious Club Mix)
    15. Secret Knowledge - Sugar Daddy
    16. 20hz - capricorn
    17. goodmen - give it up
    18. jaydee - plastic dreams
    19. Stefano Secchi - We Are Easy to Love
    20. Motiv 8 - Rockin' For Myself (Original White Label Mix)
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-15-2021 at 03:43 PM.

down to just 4 now
    1. unknown
    2. Groove Sector - Come On get my rhythm (Cadence Club Mix)
    3. Barbarella - Barbarella (My Name Is Barbarella / Spaceship) (1993)
    4. Klaus - Break Not Down
    5. 13:00 unknown "beebeedoobap"
    6. Gary Clail / Justin Robertson - These Things Are Worth Fighting For (Lion Rock Mix IV)
    7. 19:00 unknown "you need it you got it"
    8. 23:00 unknown "Here we go, aha"

9. 3 of us - The Land of Flux (Extended Mix)
    10. Subterrania feat. Ann Consuelo~Do It For Love [Stone's Essential Club Mix]
    11. Mother - All funked up (paul bleasedale)
    12. Lost Tribe Of The Lost Minds - Musika (Route 66 bivouac mix)
    13. Mato Grosso - Jungle (remix)
    14. Groove Sector - Love Attack (Contagious Club Mix)
    15. Secret Knowledge - Sugar Daddy
    16. 20hz - Capricorn
    17. Goodmen - give it up
    18. Jaydee - plastic dreams
    19. Stefano Secchi - We Are Easy to Love
    20. Motiv 8 - Rockin' For Myself (Original White Label Mix)

https://soundcloud.com/djmatt1000/gu...rruGbrObWAk5is

https://soundcloud.com/djmatt1000/gu...FUQiROgsaUwsBg

https://soundcloud.com/djmatt1000/gu...iHFP1OgUWfQ-7Y

awesome job. I've spent some time hunting down classic tracks I was never able to find back when I first hear them. If Shazam didn't work, I had the most success by reaching out to club DJs from that time. So many I have yet to find and no longer have the motivation to keep at it.

Rep for putting in the work.