Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is the MP3 dissapearing? and is this a good or a bad thing?

MP3s only became popular to begin with due to ease of piracy in the late 90s. Back then, everyone knew that 128 kbps wasn't as good as CD quality. It just didn't matter. MP3s were free. Things just kicked into overdrive with Napster and iPods and 56kbps modems.

Time marched on and now streaming is the big thing. It's too inconvenient to build a library of tracks. Just stream anything from anywhere. It's the future.

The problem with centralization is control. Decentralization will make a comeback and when it does, I want tracks mastered for lossless at 192 kHz at 24 bit depth. Let's get serious.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by Dix View Post
    I just hope there is at least some method of buying MP3's for the next 10 or 15 years.
    those of you who live in the usa are lucky for now because amazon sells digital music inside the usa only, as far as i know even puerto rico cant buy music from amazon.

for the rest of us, with electronic music and dj pools aside, i believe itunes is now the only show in town for sort of main stream or non electronic music, so we are hanging on by a mere thread.
    and for me, I cannot even get itunes to work for some reason

artists are listing deezer, apple music amazon music, gobuzz, Spotify, youtube music and youtube....this is all streaming oriented ! not looking good

There are a few DJ oriented streaming services started recently. Most notably Beatport Link, which is supported by Serato, Pioneer DJ, Denon DJ, Virtual DJ and a few more software makers. It's not a cheap service, as it is for music professionals, ie DJs and there are some limitations, depending on what plan you decide to go with:
    LINK has three plans available: (i) LINK with audio streams at 128kbps AAC for $14.99USD/month with no offline locker access; (ii) LINK PRO with audio streams at 256kbps AAC for $39.99USD/month with Beatport CLOUD offline access limited to 50 tracks; and (iii) LINK PRO+ with audio streams at 256kbps AAC for $59.99USD/month with Beatport CLOUD offline access limited to 100 tracks.

Basically that means you have rely on always having an internet connection, unless you're happy with max 100 tracks available offline. Most of the time it's probably not an issue, but sometimes you end up in a spot with bad reception. Also, they are kind of forcing people to go with at least the PRO option, since the basic option has a really low bitrate.

There's also a streaming service from Soundcloud compatible with Serato DJ and Serato can also be used together with Tidal. I'm pretty sure these can be used on some more platforms as well and there will definitely be more streaming services available for DJ software and hardware in the near future.

I'm pretty certain streaming service will be for DJing what they are for the ****** music listener today. It will just take a little longer for it to catch on. Also, like Pete said, it will most likely make DJing way more different than before when anybody can play anything at a given time. It might be for the better or worse, we'll just have to wait and see.

As for vinyl, not that many DJs use it for DJing anymore. It's mainly within a few distinct genres like techno and dnb. For most DJs it will be limiting, as not all music is available on vinyl and it's also very expensive. The comeback for vinyl that has been going on for a while is mostly repressings of older releases bought by hipsters, not for DJs.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    LINK PRO+ with audio streams at 256kbps AAC for $59.99USD/month with Beatport CLOUD offline access limited to 100 tracks..

There's nothing pro about 256 mp3.

LINK with audio streams at 128kbps AAC for $14.99USD/month with no offline locker access
    From the industry that wanted to kill Napster and Co. Good luck.

even CD baby is gone , i hadnt realised until now
    i got to admit, i wasnt using it much but still, wow. sad to see these things go

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/...ng-1203506690/

Feb 18, 2020
    " the independent distributor announced late last week that it is shutting down its retail store, although it will continue to distribute physical product through other channels."

"“20 years ago, when CD Baby launched the online store, it was revolutionary to help independent musicians gain direct access to their fans and the market. By 2009, sales through our store accounted for only 27% of the total revenue we paid to artists every week. By 2019, sales on our store comprised less than 3% of our clients’ total earnings"

you know, people talk about the vinyl revival, i wouldnt be surprised if we saw a CD revival after this, if digital file purchases are going out the window.
    but then hardly anyone has a CD player anymore, even in their computer.
    personally I really would love if a new physical music format was released, perhaps like a small box with usb dongle inside it with the album in wav format, some bonus images, and a booklet , for those of us who are music collectors
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-07-2021 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post
    perhaps like a small box with usb dongle inside it with the album in wav format, some bonus images, and a booklet , for those of us who are music collectors
    It's more expensive than burning a CD, and eventually wears out or can fail unexpectedly. Some bands such as NIN, white Stripes, Exodus etc used USB dongles as such a format. Then the release price is more than just a CD, so what's the point. You buy the CD you get the wav out of it and store that wherever.

If I had one of those on USB I'd burn a safety copy on CD

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    LINK has three plans available: (i) LINK with audio streams at 128kbps AAC ... (ii) LINK PRO with audio streams at 256kbps AAC ... (iii) LINK PRO+ with audio streams at 256kbps AAC ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    There's nothing pro about 256 mp3.
    This is nitpicking, but the AAC codec is supposed to be superior to MPEG-1 audio layer 3 (MP3) at the same bitrate. The implication is that 256kbps AAC may be as good as 320kbps MP3.

In the end, both AAC and MP3 are lossy codecs, so maybe this is splitting hairs.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

That's easily fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post

There's nothing pro about mp3.
    Reducing bandwidth to the absolute bare "acceptable" minimum before calling it pro, is most likely a stream cost saving measure for them. Or you would be able to stream either flac or wav. I'll call it pro when it's not lossless. The problem lies with broadcasting one of your mixes. If you spin mp3, then release the mix as an mp3 then use one of the platforms that also compress on top of it, that's lossy on top of lossy on top of lossy. And a few people out there do worry why their mixes don't "sound" good.

We have reached the era of high definition, and I see the record companies still going for the big bucks instead of the music, now with the new trick of the subscriber does not own the music. That is just sad, and true pro standards are not at this level.

Tony Andrews from Funktion One, is probably one of the most vocal guys on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    It all reminds me of back in the day when I worked in music distribution.
    Streaming has its downsides and means that any DJ has access to all tracks. It takes all the digging out of DJing, so traditional DJing has died.
    I guess so, it definitly improves access to music in certain ways.
    but this was already the case when the Mp3 came out
    im sure we all can remember the explosion of new djs on the scene in the first decade of the 2000s, that kind of rolled back a bit around the mid-2010s i think.
    but i had seen DJs swap entire music collections
    and I even heard of cases where some punters in the club would make a hard drive for the DJ and give it to them to keep them up to date LOL
    that was a hard thing for me to deal with at first, coming from an era where every DJ had a few vinyl in his collection that his peers would simply never be able to find no matter how hard they tried. I enjoyed being able to finally get the tracks i always wanted, but didn't enjoy so much that as soon as another DJ heard it he could shazam it and have it too

but when all is said and done, I got over it, and I still find that two DJs with access to all the music in the world will produce very different sounding mixes, because their personal tastes, their vision, and their intuition are just different. i think the important thing in the digital age is not simply having the music , but organizing the music, so that's where a lot of my effort has gone in recent years.

but I can see how a streaming option could further homogenize DJ sets too with the sharing of playlists and so on, and even replace the DJ in certain scenarios
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-07-2021 at 11:54 AM.

^^^ I had some DJs I never met before asking me straight if they could copy my HDD or flash drive. Answer is no, because I went digging for my exclusive tracks, and I produced/remixed some of those. Why should I do all the effort, then DJ Bedroonoob comes to my face like 'hey dude cool tracks nice set can I have them?' - No.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

but I can see how a streaming option could further homogenize DJ sets too with the sharing of playlists and so on, and even replace the DJ in certain scenarios
    There is that thing I classify as the "Beatport DJs". They all mix the top 10 of the moment, because they all want to be heard as the DJ who's spinning the top tracks (how original), and they all sound the same. Same tracks different order, like a giant inbred mixing festival.
    Last edited by Manu; 04-08-2021 at 06:02 AM.