Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: is the MP3 dissapearing? and is this a good or a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    ^^^ I had some DJs I never met before asking me straight if they could copy my HDD or flash drive. Answer is no, because I went digging for my exclusive tracks, and I produced/remixed some of those. Why should I do all the effort, then DJ Bedroonoob comes to my face like 'hey dude cool tracks nice set can I have them?' - No..
    i had a guy once come up to me in a club and asked if he could take a photo of my tracklist on my software with his phone hehe, i didnt mind i said go ahead.
    because, the ship has sailed on that now , everyone can have anything they want. its at the point where it really comes down to who is putting in the work week by week , a bit like a sport. its more a case of training and staying in shape on an on going basis.
    you can hear if a DJ is not "in shape", maybe they just arnt putting in the work or perhaps their 9-5 job is wearing them out and they are just winging it at the gigs and playing the hits, the mix will still tend to sound stale regardless of the size of the music collection. (been there myself before but managed to get out of it)

what i do ( used to do before corona ) was make remixes, or splice different versions of songs together, and also create custom music videos, at least this way i had something original to offer that couldnt be just shazammed
    Last edited by DJ Matt; 04-08-2021 at 12:49 PM.

The very essence of did you do your homework or not. The real DJs spin the tracks you cannot find.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Same tracks different order, like a giant inbred mixing festival.
    You just described 99% of American radio stations. The only thing that differs between stations is the genre of music they play.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I've visited both old fashioned radio stations and "established" ones. The old fashion guys have at least 2 tape players, 2 minidisc players, 2 DAT, 4 CD, 2 turntables etc etc...

The established radio stations have a computer, and a guy who fills the grid on the computer, and everything is lined up weeks in advance, advertising and all... And yes the latter heavily relies on compressed, even more substandard mp3, because "you can't hear it over the radio" aka they run filters to smooth out the crap sound quality.

As someone who came to DJing as the CDJs were just taking off (hence my CDJ500s') and a mountain of CDs scattered across various IKEA bits of furniture (and the floor) I still love actually holding something (same with books rather than a kindle). I get the ease of it and totally admire and appreciate the technological breakthroughs but... I don't know, guess it's just coming from that era really. In my heart I would rather learn to use Vinyl than move onto pure digital (though part of me is attracted to breaking down tracks etc. in Ableton or whatever the right software is - and I know that's digital today). I remember listening to an interview with either Carl Cox, Norman Cook or Paul Oakenfold talking about how people would have to really hunt for specific tracks/b-sides/remixes and create a truly special collection whereas today that's been lost, anyone can have anything. Hard to say if that has been a blessing or a curse in all honesty.

Streaming just seems fraught with the danger of WiFi/internet connection collapse - something I've experienced so much working from home!

Getting back to the original question... my DJ pool (DJ City) is still going strong, and I can still buy MP3s off Amazon - in fact they just made that a little easier. For awhile, they seemed to discourage it by making the download of an MP3 a multistep process.

Long term I dunno... but I hope not. It's how I do it. I have to have my hot cues, loops, mix in and out markers, accurate grids, key signatures, personal notes in track comments... all that stuff. And I need my tracks!

A bigger concern for me is that more and more artists are opting out of DJ pools. Billboard's current #1 (Montero) is not in my pool, and this is not the first time. As long as Amazon is there for a backup, I'm good. As long as it keeps selling MP3s that is.

It's always going to evolve in one way or another. I mean, we haven't used wax cylinders in a while. And that's kind of how I see mp3 anyway, a future dinosaur technology

All those music publishers who promised the prices would go down because no more production costs. In effect, the price has gone up since I notice a clear case of getting less for more money.

I don't know what the future holds for what format DJ's will use in the future, but personally, I use Traktor with MP3's that I ripped myself from CDs, just because it's easier. For my youtube video mixes and audio mixes, I use wave files from my ripped CD's, just to have the best sound quality. I have been at this since the 70's, so I have plenty of vinyl, so I don't usually buy any vinyl. One thing for sure, vinyl will always be worth something to somebody, and it will be around for a long time to come, and prices will continue to go up. Mainly because audiophiles love vinyl. Eventually, the cardboard record cover itself will be worth more than the vinyl, so keep your record covers in good shape.

Pano, the sound quality on your mixes is awesome, it does sound like someone who's taking great care of his sound

MP3 probably serves a purpose for specific times, but given how space is more cheaply available now I moved to WAV and haven't looked back.