Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: headphones or speakers?

New headphones or monitors?

I bought a DDJ-RB some time ago but now I'd like upgrade my headphones or speakers. Currently Im using an old Hi-Fi for my speakers and use the flat EQ (not sure if that is correct) and I have Sennheiser HD202 headphones.
    Should I get new monitors first or new headphones?
    BTW I'm a "bedroom "DJ"".
    Im mixing DnB/Jungle.
    TYI

For monitors I was thinking Mackie cr3, krk classic 5 or Presonus Eris E5. I havent checked headphones yet.
    Last edited by Kevwin Stanley; 03-22-2021 at 09:47 PM.

Change the sennheisers before you break them at the hinges (they will break), and keep them for ****** use.
    Shoot here -----------------> SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube

I've had the headphones a while (3 years) and touch wood they've never broke and they don't have hinges. Do you think they are good enough to DJ with? They sound all bass to me.
    The question I have is which is more important? Good headphones or good speakers/monitors?

Both.

I'd change the headphones first. Nevermind the touch wood part, I have been using Sennheiser headphones for decades and the cheaper part of the range is flimsy, certainly not designed with DJing in mind regarding the stress put on their headbands and hinges.

If they're all bass then you can't hear the rest properly.
    Shoot here -----------------> SoundCloud ________________________________ MixCloud________________ __________________YouTube

Any recommendations? Something around $100 ish
    I just had a quick look around and some websites are saying Numark HF125 are the best for the price...but they seem too cheap to be that good.

They're absolutely rubbish I'm afraid. I recommended them to my mum for class use, as they are they best in their price category for being tough and that's about it. Sound will be worse than sennheiser in any case... And having used them myself before, they get painful on the ears after just an hour of use.

In the same category but better there are the Sonys V150. On your budget, Sony V55. DO NOT buy on ebay or other auction places, they will be fake, buy only from approved retailers.

Don't jump on a purchase just yet, you never know if someone will chime in here in the next few days with another recommendation.

You were right Manu. The prices I saw for monitors was for 1 monitor only I could get some prsonus E3.5 but I'd be too scared of blowing them.
    Now another question...Is it worth just going for the sennheiser HD 25?
    I noticed they now have HD25 light but I cant find out what the difference is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevwin Stanley View Post
    I noticed they now have HD25 light but I cant find out what the difference is.
    Cheaper build quality (cheaper parts) but they claim to use the same driver. as the HD25.
    So it sounds like it's an HD25 that breaks more easily.

NAMM 2020: The new Sennheiser HD 25 Light Headphones
    2:10

For a bedroom DJ if you are careful with them they should serve you as well as classic HD 25 headphones.
    Plus the HD25 Lite's headband is probably less comfortable since it's a single band instead of a split band.
    Last edited by Windows 95; 03-24-2021 at 09:15 PM.
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

Here they are about 50 bux cheaper. Would you pay the difference for the classic HD 25?

If you don't get the classic HD25 straight away, at some point you will.
    The Sennheiser headphones that are used for DJing all do the job really well.
    You'll just end up wanting the 'perfected' model, just so you are certain you will never need to ever think about headphones again.

(for the record been using Sennheisers for Djing for 26 years, own about 15 pairs of various headphones)
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix