Thread: Quick DJ question

Quick DJ question

Hey all,

I have been tasked with playing DJ at a wedding after party. I would rather just make a custom playlist before hand and export it to a USB and just play it back during the event. Is there a good DJ software I can use to do this? Would just need to trim some songs and also crossfade many together and then be able to export this playlist to a USB. No live DJing involved. Also, most of my music is in iTunes so i assume I will have to convert them to MP3s...Thanks in advance for any advice!

Something like Mixmeister would do this. But there are literally hundreds of other programs for splicing together music.
    As you are not a DJ, I would stay away from mixing the tracks and just fade in the intros and outros.

As you are playing a wedding:
    make sure you have a playlist from the bride/groom/family.
    make sure you have a couple of backup usbs prepared.
    make sure you have a backup playing device available.
    bring all the music you have as well, just in case someone important requests a track not on the playlist.
    if you are not spending money on a DJ, spend the money on hiring a nice soundsystem (if possible with the budget)

However, please be aware that your post is kinda like walking into a room full of painters whilst holding a colour printer and asking advice on how to print a copy of the mona lisa.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

you shouldn't go for a pre-mixed playlist. takes away every possibility to react to the crowd

I was asked one to DJ a friend's wedding and turned that down. What I did instead was to create a list in iTunes, then in the evening we plopped a 12 year old kid on the computer and everything went fine. I guess if you want the extra fade in and out, Pete covered that with mixmeister.

If you need to take requests and you have some stable internet, there's https://youtube-dj.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kdp View Post
    you shouldn't go for a pre-mixed playlist. takes away every possibility to react to the crowd
    Please don't answer threads without reading the subject matter ("no live djing involved"), or without any experience in weddings.