Thread: Help setting up speakers.

Help setting up speakers.

So the way I have my speakers setup right now, it seems one side plays different than the other, one speaker would be putting out more bass and one less. I'm assuming this means it's setup in stereo?

My equipment is:

(2) Harbinger V2315's
    Mackie Mix 5
    Pioneer DDJ400 Controller
    Laptop

I would like both speakers to play together in mono because to me that seems better to my ears and it doesnt overdrive one speaker more than the other. How would I go about doing this on these speakers? These speakers have whats called a "smart stereo" connection where you can have a master and slave speaker, would that be my best option? Also on my Mackie Mix 5 it has L/R Main Out do I use to use both outputs or just one? I run RCA's from my controller to the Mackie 5 and then from my Mackie 5 to the PA speakers.

Heres the manual for my speakers:

https://harbingerproaudio.com/wp-con...ner-Manual.pdf

Heres the Mackie Mix 5 I use:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'm just NOT sure how to configure this setup. Do I use smart stereo? do I run each speaker individual the way I have it? I'm just not happy with how one side plays louder than the other at times and over drives one speaker but not the other.

Quote Originally Posted by jbinn View Post
    do I run each speaker individual the way I have it? I'm just not happy with how one side plays louder than the other at times and over drives one speaker but not the other.
    First, I'd listen to the track in your headphones to see if it sounds louder in one ear than the other. If it sounds fine, then I'd keep the PA speakers in stereo and mark it up to how the track was recorded.

If you want to use dual mono, then you'll have to configure that in RekordBox as your mixer doesn't support converting a stereo sound into two mono audio signals. The good thing is that if you can configure it in RekordBox, you don't need to do anything with your PA setup.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

The bass content in both speakers should be identical, because that's how it's mixed in the recording process. Try changing the speaker inputs. If the same one stays louder than the other something's wrong with the weaker speaker. If the other speaker is louder when you switch the inputs something's wrong further back in the signal chain.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    First, I'd listen to the track in your headphones to see if it sounds louder in one ear than the other. If it sounds fine, then I'd keep the PA speakers in stereo and mark it up to how the track was recorded.

If you want to use dual mono, then you'll have to configure that in RekordBox as your mixer doesn't support converting a stereo sound into two mono audio signals. The good thing is that if you can configure it in RekordBox, you don't need to do anything with your PA setup.
    What about Smart Stereo? Linking both speakers together and using ONE as a master? If I do that do I have to use both L/R on my mixer? or can I just use ONE output?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    The bass content in both speakers should be identical, because that's how it's mixed in the recording process. Try changing the speaker inputs. If the same one stays louder than the other something's wrong with the weaker speaker. If the other speaker is louder when you switch the inputs something's wrong further back in the signal chain.

IT depends on the song... but 1 speaker deff drives harder than the other on certain songs like left is playing louder or the right... Both speakers do this so I know the speakers arent the issue, its something with my configuration.

could be a dodgy cable?
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Smart stereo is an alternate way to get stereo sound, but there isn't any reason to use it with the equipment you have as you still have to run a cable to each speaker.
    However you don't want stereo so this function isn't much use to you anyway, first you need to sum your source to mono in the software, then the system will produce mono sound any way you connect the speakers. You could run cables from both mixer outs to the speakers or use just one mixer out and daisy chain the speakers together, both will produce the same results.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

You are almost certainly using the wrong cable(s) or have a bad cable.

You should be using a pair of TRS (male) to XLR (male) cables.. one from the left output of your mixer to the left speaker, and one from the right output of your mixer to the right speaker. Pretty much any other cable is wrong. Use channel 1 input on the speaker, make sure the switch is set to LINE. Set the speaker voicing to "standard" and make sure both bass and treble knobs are set straight up (12 oclock) on both the speakers as well as the mixer.. since you can control that on your DDJ.

From the DDJ to the mixer you need a stereo RCA cable (typically has a red and a white plug on each end) from the two outs on the DDJ to a single stereo input channel on the mixer, and anything else is wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    You are almost certainly using the wrong cable(s) or have a bad cable.

You should be using a pair of TRS (male) to XLR (male) cables.. one from the left output of your mixer to the left speaker, and one from the right output of your mixer to the right speaker. Pretty much any other cable is wrong. Use channel 1 input on the speaker, make sure the switch is set to LINE. Set the speaker voicing to "standard" and make sure both bass and treble knobs are set straight up (12 oclock) on both the speakers as well as the mixer.. since you can control that on your DDJ.

From the DDJ to the mixer you need a stereo RCA cable (typically has a red and a white plug on each end) from the two outs on the DDJ to a single stereo input channel on the mixer, and anything else is wrong.
    Ok this actually makes a lot of sense... Now what if I want to use Stereo sound and link the speakers together? How would I set this up? or is it better to do it the other way? I kind of like the balancing feature of linking them together.

on the back of the speaker it says L/R MONO for Channel 3, should I use that? and just connect 2 TRS to TRS from Mixer to Speaker and then link them together?

or what if I want to play both speakers together with bluetooth?
    Last edited by jbinn; 04-19-2021 at 06:25 PM.