Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traktor Keeps freezing

Traktor Keeps freezing

Hi, I'm am using a traktor s4 mk 3 on a hp icore 7 with 16bg ram and windows 10. I was djing at a wedding 2 weeks ago and everything went perfectly but I djed at a 21st a week later and traktor kept freezing. Traktor froze 3 times in 5 hours even though I hadn't made any changes to the laptop in that week. Since then, I have been using latencymon to see how my laptop is doing when running traktor to try and diagnose the problem. What i have noticed is that traktor runs fine for a few minutes. The load meter on traktor is low (nowhere near the red) and the meter on latencymon is low but all of a sudden, the meter on latencymon will jump for 1/2 a second and there will be an audio drop out for 1/2 a second but the load meter in traktor stays low even when this spike in latencymon occurs. This spike / drop out occurs every 10 minutes or so but after about 25 minutes, traktor will freeze and play a buzzing noise (which I think is the song repeating a 1/2 second section of the song) and the load meter on traktor will go into the red and the latencymon meter will go red. When this happens, I have to turn of traktor and then restart this. When djing at the 21st, this happened after about 1 1/2 hrs and was about 1 1/2 hrs between each time freezing but now it does this after 20 - 25 mins. I have looked at the native instruments 'optimizing for windows' page and I followed the steps. Windows up to date as is the firmware on the console itself. Can someone please tell when what is happening? When djing at the wedding, everything was perfect and a week later, it kept freezing so what changed in that week or was I just lucky at the wedding. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks, Jason

turn off antivirus and disable the wifi? you've probably done this already tho'...
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Something in the windows background going on indeed.

Yeah what Pete said, plus any third party apps running in the backgrounds. Please Alt Crtl Del and select the task manager, see what's happening.
    Last edited by Manu; 03-02-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Saying what the others (and OP) have seen differently, this isn't a Traktor problem but it's an issue that's causing blown digital audio buffers and making Traktor glitch.

The issue is due to a driver. The likely culprits in decreasing likelihood order are drivers for WiFi, networking, anti-virus, graphics interface, and chipset. For WiFi and networking, disable them. For anti-virus, you can disable that. For graphic interface and chipset, make sure you're running the latest driver.

That being said, we assume that you are running the latest OS patches and Traktor updates. Those make a big difference.

The good thing is that this issue is fixed once identified. Since you use LatencyMon, it sounds like you're skilled enough to locate the culprit.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Hi, thank you to everyone for your advice. I will try these things tomorrow and see how it goes (fingers crossed). Mark

Hi, the problem is still happening. I disabled wifi and netwroking, disabled anti virus. updated the chip sets. Windows and traktor are both up to date but after about 30mins, traktor just freezes. The latencymon meters showed that the latency wasn't too high but all of a sudden, traktor freezes and plays 1/2 second of the song repeatedly until I shut traktor off. This is really p****ing me off!

30m in is a lot of time for this to kick in. Errant drivers are fairly quick to appear, within a minute or two. I wonder if it's a background process or service as they "wake up" periodically to work.

Something is grabbing the CPU's attention - which is preventing the CPU from keeping your digital audio buffers full. Increase the size of the buffers (which increases latency) as a temporary fix as you find out which is the errant driver, service, or background app.
    Last edited by KLH; 03-04-2021 at 08:57 AM.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Wondering for a second or two here.

You don't have any sort of power settings going on at the moment, and all automatic updates on all software are all off?

As far as I know all automatic updates are off and the power settings are set for maximum performance. When running latencymon, kernel mode driver framework and dircetx graphics kernal are running high but I'm not very tech savvy so I don't know if I can turn them off or not. I'm just confused by this all because I djed a wedding 3 weeks ago and everything went perfectly but the next week when i djed a 21st and traktor started freezing. Why would traktor start freezing when it hadn't done that before? I didn't change anything on my laptop except add more music to my collection which should make a difference so why the change?

If its crashing 30 min into a set, look at your collection. You may have a corrupt audio file(s) that can cause an issue when you've selected the playlist.