Thread: Pioneer DM-40 Distorting

Question Pioneer DM-40 Distorting

Hi everyone,

Hope you're safe and apologies in advance if this topic has been covered but I could not find any directly related posts.

I recently bought a pair of Pioneer DM-40s to connect to my Behringer DJX750 mixer and CDJs for a small room setting. Everything is, seemingly, correctly wired with RCA cables running from the mixer's main output to the RCA inputs on the master speaker on the DM-40s. The connecting RCAs between the master and slave speaker are also firmly in place.

Now, as soon as I play any music above very quiet, the speakers distort beyond use. The individual channel outputs are well below red (0db or less) and the master volume is so low that it doesn't show up on the meter. Moreover, the physical volume controls on the DM-40s are set to half or less. The DM-40s have an RMS of 42W. I had been using my Adam T5Vs prior to this and there were absolutely no problems so a faulty mixer can't be the issue.

Could anyone suggest a solution to this and/or point me to some resources to understand why this is occurring?

Appreciate any help, many thanks in advance.

Is you mixer input set to phono when it should be set to line-in? and double check those pesky phono/line buttons on the back of the mixer.

...just a thought.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Thank you for the reply Pete. That was the first thing I considered when I heard the distortion but double checking, everything is in order. I even just tested the speakers using the AUX input and its the exact same story.

Is it possible that I was sent a pair of blown out speakers? Or is there something else at play?

Following up, I resolved the issue! Problem was very sketchy RCA wires between the two speakers causing both of them to distort and trip. Cheers!

If you can eliminate the source as the problem, then look to the speakers.
    Plug directly from a CDJ. Plug directly from your phone or whatever, to test both inputs.
    Test with one speaker.
    Then the both.

Are they second hand or new? Does the cone sound/feel crunchy when to lightly move it in and out with your hand?

They could be blown.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by Mansa View Post
    Following up, I resolved the issue! Problem was very sketchy RCA wires between the two speakers causing both of them to distort and trip. Cheers!

I was going to say check the cables first, but there you go.