Thread: What happened to streaming-enabled DJ apps?

What happened to streaming-enabled DJ apps?

Remember last year when the industry was clearly convinced that all DJ apps would be enabled with multiple streaming services, like Spotify, Deezer, Beatport, etc.?

AFAIK, the only service really doing this is SoundCloud. All the others are eliminating their ties to DJ apps - see Algoriddim and Spotify.

What happened???
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I think eventually it will come back.
    But really it goes against a lot of what DJing is about.
    Having access to all the tracks in the world without digging? Takes all the fun out of it.
    Plus the artists will not make any money at from sales. Kinda sad.

The reason it got pulled? Well that will all be about contracts and money. Nothing more nothing less.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Like Pete said, it's all about the money.
    Beatport has their new streaming service available called link. It's basic version is 14.99/month but it's at a low bitrate. For a higher bitrate and the ability to store 50 songs offline you'd have to pay the double and to store 100 songs offline it's 44.99. Quite a lot more than spotify would cost.

https://link.beatport.com/

Lol, if someone told me 20 years ago I could have the option of paying that much per month not to own a 100 songs.

I would have asked that person if he was mad.

I pay zero extra to have all my music stored in my car, while others seem fine to pay for streaming. They don't have a choice though, they have zero physical music at home so it's that or the radio.

Why is it not there? I'd say it's a hard sell telling a DJ to rent music. Chances are about the same as trying to rent a fridge to an Inuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I pay zero extra to have all my music stored in my car, while others seem fine to pay for streaming. They don't have a choice though, they have zero physical music at home so it's that or the radio.
    But how do you listen to the music in your car?
    Hard drive/SD? App? 8 track? Car stereo interface?

I find some of the streaming apps good for their purpose of firing up automatically when android auto kicks in and playing me some random bland synthwave.
    Managing a massive music collection through a car interface or some app on a phone screen is a hassle.
    Google play music used to do the job, but died off and translated to youtube which is forces ads and has a poor interface.

One day I should set up a proper music server at home, linked to the correct app to play the music from my phone. Just gotta get round to it...
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

I have DVD + 5x CD + 2 x SD + HDD. The navigation interface is called MMI (Audi) and is dead easy to use (either scroll click button on console or scroll click on the steering wheel), I even have voice control to switch between sources, no need whatsoever to have one hand on a touch screen while driving (which is two or 3 steps backwards regarding safety imho).

So that's more than ample in terms of not needing some pay to stream app... Same at home, I have gear that means I am not going to sacrifice sound quality for ease of access. If I want some instant everything I either plug the music dongle or the music hard drive in the hifi. As a DJ, my already existing music collection means this service is a solution that's trying to find a problem I don't have in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    Like Pete said, it's all about the money.
    DJs just aren't a big enough revenue stream, I guess. It's depressing.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by KLH View Post
    DJs just aren't a big enough revenue stream, I guess. It's depressing.
    On the contrary. Why settle for 9.99 when you can squeeze 44.99 out of some of them? It's also a licensing thing. Spotify, Deezer, etc are for personal use. When you DJ in front of a crowd the record companies (funny they are still called that) basically want you to pay more.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    the record companies (funny they are still called that)
    How about the fact that "record album" is still used.

Books containing several records were common back when ten-inch 78 RPM were popular.
    But since the invention of the twelve-inch 33 RPM LP record, albums quit being so common place. (Most 78 RPM record albums contained 30 or 40 minutes of music. You can fit 30 or 40 minutes of music on just one 12" LP.)
    But the number of US Supreme Court judges was always 6.
    Then it was 5, then 6, then 7, then 9, then 10, then 7, and then 9.

I recently bought a DJ app.

I found it annoying at first that I couldn't use Soundcloud, YouTube or iTunes with it.

It's forced me to build my Bandcamp collection, which has been fun and rewarding.