Thread: QSC K12.2 Vs Yamaha DXR12mkII vs Yamaha DXR15mkII

QSC K12.2 Vs Yamaha DXR12mkII vs Yamaha DXR15mkII

I'm torn between this speakers, and yes i have both size, 12" and 15" but my question is are this 12" speakers that loud? Seems everyone has a 12" model now days.
    I know the whole idea is to go small without loosing in sound but are they that effective? I'm trying for now to get away with buying a Sub (For Now) so I was thinking about getting a 15" speaker (Imagine is more booming) instead hence the 15" DX15mkII.
    I wish there was a QSC k15.2 this will have being a lot easier to decide, I think even thou I'm a huge fan of Yamaha products, besides Yamaha offers 7 year warrantee instead of QSC 6 years.
    I'm leaning tours the QSC because they are on sale and you also get the speaker cover for free. Another thing I'm a bit confused as the QSC show be have 2000 amplification vs the 1100 amplification from Yamaha yet Yamaha shows having
    a Maximum Peak SPL: 134 dB SPL for both their 12" and 15" DXR MKII speakers vs QSC 132 SPL on their K12.2 speaker.
    I will appreciate you guys info or any additional information you guys have since I'm playing on buying a set of speakers on the next two weeks, God willing!!
    Thanks in advance, God Bless!!

Fifteens are for subs. With subs handling the low end twelves are all you need for the rest. You can't go without subs because low frequency speakers have to be on the ground and should be close to a wall, while midbass/high frequency speakers must be elevated and placed away from walls. Ignore the claimed SPL figures, they're fake. Nobody publishes accurate SPL.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Boricuanology View Post
    I'm trying for now to get away with buying a Sub (For Now) so I was thinking about getting a 15" speaker (Imagine is more booming) instead hence the 15" DX15mkII.
    Unfortunately it doesn't work out that way, first thing you have to do is put those speakers up on stands and there goes all your booming bass. I own a set of DXR15s and they sound great.. as long as you're not trying to get lots of bass out of them... then they sound like crap. My pair get used most times with subs and they do a great job with that, but the 15" has no advantage over a 12" when used that way and it's a bigger/heavier box you have to move and lift so I'd suggest buying 12" speakers and saving up your pennies to get a sub asap.

Quote Originally Posted by Boricuanology View Post
    Another thing I'm a bit confused as the QSC show be have 2000 amplification vs the 1100 amplification from Yamaha yet Yamaha shows having a Maximum Peak SPL: 134 dB SPL for both their 12" and 15" DXR MKII speakers vs QSC 132 SPL on their K12.2 speaker.
    Yamaha always understates the amp power spec while most others tend to overstate.. the K12.2 is really a 1000w box, but all of them overstate max SPL. Neither of these will hit 130+ dB with sound you will want to listen to but they do get quite loud and sound good when used within their limits.
    Last edited by conanski; 12-21-2020 at 10:40 PM.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Thanks you guys for your quick replies, I truly appreciate!!!

For what it's worth I own a pair of QSC K12.2 speakers. They can go very loud and sound great. I use them with a pair of QSC KW181 subs.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events