Thread: Mix Advice- Top End

Mix Advice- Top End

Hey Guys,

I have a tech house track here which I've submitted to a label, there is a possibility that they are interested, however it is missing alot of top end in the overall track. It is so much darker compared to other tracks.

Does anyone have any advice on how to make the track brighter? I know this is a vague question. If you need more information then I am happy to provide.

Currently Im sitting at -4 on the master. The synth and vocal need highlighting. Is it maybe a gain staging issue?

Please help! Arrggh Much appreciated.

Thanks

You're not asking about mixing, you're asking about mastering. If it does not translate right, then the initial mix is not done good enough. A multiband compressor and parametric EQ might help, if you have one.

Hey, thanks for the reply!

Ok fair enough. I only have Ableton 10 suite plug ins to work with. If my initial mix isn't great then I'm assuming that I'll have to go back to square one and gain stage the whole thing again? And remove all eqs before doing so? Ive noticed much of my eqing is a bit extreme, though I have tried to remove the low end out of everything apart from kick/bass. Any ideas on the best way to approach this with the tools I have? Just gain stage again?

Try to make the mix as flat and balanced as possible, instead of trying to make it sound like the final product. Bounce it with some headroom at -6 Db, then you can start attempting the mastering again.