Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: something you dont see every day

Great setup for a 70's or 80's disco party
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    600 for a piece of furniture with all the actual goodies gutted out. Dude who did that hack job killed the value of it, it does look good but the price is wrong.
    I had an uncle that used to restore that sort of stuff in the 1960s & 1970s.
    With jukeboxes, he took care to make both the cabinet and the internal workings as close to the original as possible.
    But with radio station mixing consoles & Disco mixing consoles if the cabinet was damaged he replaced it, built a new one, or threw it away.

Since most radio stations and Discos custom-built their cabinets, the cabinets had no value.
    It was the mixers, record players, and other electronics that were valuable not the cabinets.
    Granted that was about 40 - 55 years ago but I imagine the same is still true today.
    "The coronavirus is a Democrat Hoax that will magically disappear."
    Donald Trump

my ikea creation i made with the help of a tutorial i found on this forum about 12 years ago, suits me fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Windows 95 View Post
    the cabinets had no value.
    That's how I see it. Dude's asking a full setup price for just the shell holding the setup. The thing looks flimsy and cheap from the rear shots if I'm honest, you don't even get a solid sturdy functional cabinet to hold more gear and records inside. That's just adding a premium on a piece of furniture because 'DJ'.

It looks good, but not 600 notes good, I would not offer a 100 for it because massive holes on the top.
    Soundcloud Mixcloud
    "Wrong speed, we've got it on the wrong speed. For those of you recovering from a hangover, that's gonna sound just right. " - Robin Williams

It looks good, but not 600 notes good, I would not offer a 100 for it because massive holes on the top.
    If it had some historic significance I could see the inflated price.
    Like if it was taken from Studio 54, Fac 51 Haçidenda, or from the set of a famous TV show.
    Donald Trump

It's looking really good from the front, and I mean really good. Then from the back it looks like a £100. Ish, and that's being generous. Historic significance doesn't matter if it means awful feedback right under my decks
    Soundcloud Mixcloud
    "Wrong speed, we've got it on the wrong speed. For those of you recovering from a hangover, that's gonna sound just right. " - Robin Williams

It's looking really good from the front, and I mean really good. Then from the back it looks like a £100.

I think it would take £300 minimum to fix the top and back to make it work for you. Still, if it's a passion project who cares about the cost? When it's done, it will be indisputably cool.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.

Pretty sure I could fill the holes with resin very easily and cheap, or even a home made combination of saw dust and a glue compound, but that would then involve having to replace the top laminate.

I'm still looking for something vintage like that, but it needs to fit through and around 2 flights of stairs at my house (I can't even get an office chair through without dismantling it)
    Soundcloud Mixcloud

With the Quad amp and the decks removed, it's pretty much garbage. The value was as a whole piece.
    Even the turntables.. while cool, are not particularly special when removed from the console.

Only the Quad amp is really valuable alone.

Quote Originally Posted by light-o-matic View Post
    With the Quad amp and the decks removed, it's pretty much garbage. The value was as a whole piece.
    If you aren't looking for the Quad Amp brand/label on the counsel. I think a DIY cabinet with diamond-tuck pleated-leather would look just as good if not better and still look like it was built in the 1970s.

Even if making upholstery is something beyond your skill level. You could hire a leather-smith to make the pleated-leather for you.
    Black, blue, or red diamond-tucked leather would look very 1970s since so many guitar amps & bass-amps were covered in diamond-tuck pleated-vinyl in the 1960s & 1970s.
    Donald Trump