Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: got new hardware today, can't get timecode to sound good for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    basically you have to troubleshoot the signal path to find out where the issue is. it is a skill you will need to master being a DJ; you will do it hundreds of times.
    Boy, you're not kidding. When I went to bed everything was perfect, I woke up and music sounded horrible again. Nothing had changed, there was no new background noise (I use headphones) but I still couldn't get it to calibrate. Took me a good 8 minutes to get it back working. I know I'm new to this so it'll take time to learn the ins and outs. But I just assumed if it works when I go to bed, when I wake up it would be the same. Or at worst a quick 20 second calibration. The sad thing is I'm not sure exactly how I got it dialed back in, I guess that'll come with the hundreds of times I'll be doing it. This is so much more involved than either of my controllers were lol.

Rest assured that even big name famous DJs either know it...or haven't bothered learning. All encounter problems.
    Working DJs know how to troubleshoot issues.

Its funny seeing a big name struggle when a connection aint working somewhere in the chain, and seeing then run off in a huff complaining to the sound engineer, ending the party, and refusing to play on equipment up to their spec. "I only play on the latest Pioneer equipment". LOL

Other big names with be there fiddling a cable or stylus just to make sure the sound is coming out and the party is continuing. Usually the ones who remember playing to raves on the janky-est of equipment back in the day.

I remember one gig where a Technics we hired for the night just wasn't holding the groove at all. Probably something wrong with the bearing. The headliner refused to even touch it, and dumped his bag of records on me. I just taped a penny on the stylus and spent most of the night with one hand manually holding the record in the groove whilst doing the rest of the DJing with the other hand. Needless to say, the party continued and I touched a fatter pay packet at the end of the night. Sound engineer was the friend of the son of the owner of the venue, so I basically had to do his job as well.

That's why I didn't give you too many pointers. You gotta work it out for yourself through trial and error and keeping calm. You will miss obvious things on the regular, everyone does. Build the skillset and carry on.
    DJs, sound engineers and producers need to get the mindset to solve these issues. Try mic-ing up a full band through a patch-bay to a half-assed mixing-desk with tons of wires everywhere ... and troubleshooting routing issues when everyone is shouting at you cos the rehearsal room costs a fortune per hour!

Even last week I was teaching my daughter to DJ and as my setup hadn't been touched in ages it was not operating correctly. It happens. 10 minutes later I had all the channels working, and luckily my daughter hadn't yet got bored and shuffled off. 30 minutes later she was banging out peak time Josh Wink techno and getting down. It's all good stuff!
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

oops double post
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

And on top of hardware issues that can arise, I now have user made ones too which wouldn't exist if I was still with a DJ Controller. Somehow the record stared playing backwards, it was near the start and it jumped off the turntable and I could hear the needle *bang bang banging* against the side of the platter. My heart almost stopped and I ran to stop it. I know needles are pretty fragile so I thought I just blew $80 or however much a new Scratch stylus costs, apparently they're a bit stronger than I thought. But I'm sure those 10 seconds of it banging on solid metal took a lot of it's life away lol, I definitely need to have a spare on hand, I'm going to go read some reviews of the OM Q.Bert to see if I should keep it. Seems like it could be a solid choice for me over the Concorde Mk2 any ways. 3g of tracking force compared to 4g should lead to a lot less wear. I don't think the math will be linear here, but maybe 25% more life out of it and my control vinyl? Gotta read more gotta get smart. And thank you for telling me about pros having problems, made me laugh but it reminds me I'm going be to back there again ready to pull my hair out.

Vinyl requires a lot of attention to detail, where my DJ-202 was idiot proof. But it's so much more fun to play with though.
    Last edited by j-bird; 01-06-2021 at 04:58 PM.