Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: got new hardware today, can't get timecode to sound good for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    In which position is the CUE/PGM knob top right on the mixer?

Try inverting the cables red to white an see if any behavior changes to better, particularly the scratch issue - moving only forward.
    The knob was in the middle, I tried moving it around, no effect except it silenced the headphones when it was all the way to cue. Inverting the cables on either the mixer or TT causes it to play backwards, and when I scratch the waveform only moves backwards now. Inverting them on both at the same time and I'm back to normal audio that only moves forward when I scratch. The sound's now magically a lot better than it was when I went to bed. I'm not hearing the weird pops and shit. To the point if I didn't know about the scratch issue I'd think everything was good. I re did the estimate on the deck calibration between each thing I tried, and still only get a horizontal line, or it at a slight angle but it's still a flat line. One thing I just noticed I only have a track loaded in deck 1 and on the mixer the level led's for the 1st column of ch 2 are lighting up. And if I move the cross fader all the way to the left, it cuts out the audio but I'm still seeing the led's light up but just for the 1st column of ch 1. I dunno if either are problems, but they don't seem right to me.
    Last edited by j-bird; 01-04-2021 at 03:41 PM.

Afais, the two middle led columns show the master left and right channel and the other two show ch1 = deck1 and ch2 = deck2.

Afais, the two middle led columns show the master left and right channel and the other two show ch1 = deck1 and ch2 = deck2.
    Well that makes sense thank you, so it is suppose to do that. And maybe it still showing ch 1 active when I have the fader all the way cut is normal as there still technically is sound it's just muted. I'm wondering why Serato calibration's showing a 0% tracking and I'm getting sound. I wouldn't be surprised if my issues are due to Serato. Been having bad luck with it lately. I did download Mixx so I could try out another option. But Mixx is kind of super involved to configure lol. Looks pretty bad ass for a free program though.

Quote Originally Posted by j-bird View Post
    when I have it in line mode and play the control vinyl I only get sound from the left ear in my headphones. Which kind of makes sense to me because Serato's telling me only 1 channel's working. But, when I play music I am getting it in both ears.
    As silly it can be - do you connect the red and white pins of the rca cable in the same channel of the mixer?
    BTW you hear in both ears music played from the computer not controlled by dvs, so that suggests the problem is what Serato gets from the mixer.

As silly it can be - do you connect the red and white pins of the rca cable in the same channel of the mixer?
    BTW you hear in both ears music played from the computer not controlled by dvs, so that suggests the problem is what Serato gets from the mixer.
    I did not even think about that, and yes I have the RCA's both connected to the same channel. I'm out of ideas to try except 1, I just remembered I accidentally ordered a 2nd cartridge, which I was planning to return since I already have one. I could open this stylus and eliminate that are the problem, but if it doesn't fix it I'm stuck with 2 cartridges. Once open they're not returnable to where I bought them (AWS) you gotta deal directly with the manufacture. And something tells me a return to them will only be good for a replacement.

I really don't want to crack open a $139 cartridge, especially when it would be a shot in the dark if that's even the problem. You know way more than I do here, would you recommend I open the cart and try it? And as for your 2nd line, when the mixers in line mode and you play the control vinyl do you normally only hear the tone in 1 ear? Nothing I see on Google is explaining this. And if I'm suppose to hear it in both ears, and have tried a 2nd RCA cable, could it still be the mixer? I ask because it's doing it on both channels and I don't see how the both channels are borked the same. So with my limited knowledge here I'm trying to figure out what it could be aside from the cartridge, but to test my theory would cost me $139, which I really don't have lol. I still need to track down an actual record, if I played it and heard music in both ears that would get rid of the cartridge being the problem.

I'm going to go randomly ask neighbors if they have a 12" record I can borrow lol.

You don't even know how much I appreciate your help, Serato support has been extra slow lately. So relying on them, this problem would take me maybe a few weeks to get ironed out.

*EDIT* Target has some vinyl in stock, and even one of my favorite albums. Well I guess I'll find out if it's the cartridge, or hummm it could be something in the turntable. UGH this is what I get for wanting to ditch a controller for a real turntable DVS setup lol.
    Last edited by j-bird; 01-04-2021 at 09:14 PM.

Don't open the cart.
    When you connect red to white does the sound move to the other ear?

Don't open the cart.
    When you connect red to white does the sound move to the other ear?
    Bought a record at Target, same problem but you're definitely on to something. When I switched them on both end it stayed the same. But when I switch on either 1 by itself the audio only comes out of the right ear. The TT has no sound when I hooked it up via phono, I thought they were supposed to be hooked up that way. I don't know if this is a possible problem or not but I thought I'd mention it. Anywho, to verify the problem wasn't the cable I hooked up the other set and the sound was left ear, then right when I swap the colors on either end. So I'm glad I listened to you and didn't open the cartridge lol. With the bit I know, it can't be the RCAs, the mixer's seems to be fine, the TT is maybe the problem? Or maybe the internal wiring on the cartridge is wrong? On the OM style ones, you can see wires, on the Concorde's everything's hidden in the shell. I'll go Google if you can safely take them apart. But I don't think it could be that as I can get sound to work on either ear depending on how the RCAs are hooked up*shrug* This has to be close to being solved, but once again my ideas here are zero. Any ways...

I sound like a broken record but thank you x1,000. I can make a Paypal and send you something for all this help, you don't even know how great this is. And if you have any further ideas for me I'll try anything at this point.
    Last edited by j-bird; 01-05-2021 at 01:31 AM.

stomp, I got it working (damn) Well with the help of a fellow on the Serato forums anywho. He suggested I open the new cart, said it would be good to have a backup regardless. But he also said I should try rubbing the connectors on the cart and the tone arm with the tip of a pencil. I've tried everything else so why not? Before I did I looked at both connectors close up and didn't see any dust or anything. But I'll be damned if it didn't fix it. I had tried cleaning them with a paper towel and it didn't do anything. I'd have never thought to use a pencil lol. I have control tone in both ears, a circle in Serato calibration window, 100% for the tone strength, it sounds fantastic and I can now backspin. Thank you for all the suggestions, if nothing else if I ever have issues again in the future I have a slew of things I know to try thanks to you. I'm kind of broke after buying all this new DJ stuff, but if you have PayPal and want to give me your info I can at least send you something as a thank you for the time and energy you put into helping me.

I'm actually kind of glad it didn't work out of the box, the 10-15 hours I've spent on it since yesterday I've learned a lot. So it wasn't all for nothing.

Aahh, so that was it. But pay attention, it was not dirt, there's no dirt in a brand new tt and cart! It was the pins inside the tonearm! They are springy, move a bit back and forth and at least one of them was stuck in back/pushed position, so with the pencil you released it. May happen again, so bring a pencil with you at the gigs, lol.

Dirt can be a problem on a filthily used cart, especially after some dj's lick the contacts to clean them, but the saliva makes things even worse.

Re Paypal reward you want to make...No need for that, thank you. Buy some good music with that money and enjoy the ride with your new equipment.

Aahh, so that was it. But pay attention, it was not dirt, there's no dirt in a brand new tt and cart! It was the pins inside the tonearm! They are springy, move a bit back and forth and at least one of them was stuck in back/pushed position, so with the pencil you released it. May happen again, so bring a pencil with you at the gigs, lol.

Dirt can be a problem on a filthily used cart, especially after some dj's lick the contacts to clean them, but the saliva makes things even worse.

Re Paypal reward you want to make...No need for that, thank you. Buy some good music with that money and enjoy the ride with your new equipment.
    This is good to know, all the reading I did and videos I watched nobody mentioned this. The guy who told me to try it didn't explain why just to try it. But what you said makes sense so now I understand why I did it.