Thread: Serato locks up on my computer, any ideas?

Serato locks up on my computer, any ideas?

Windows 10, Serato 2.4.3 with a DDJ-FLX6 controller. Prior I had a Roland DJ-202 and ran Serato 2.1.1 and it worked perfectly. Now, Serato locks up every time I play a song and the only way I can get it to unfreeze is to unhook the USB cable. When I plug it back it it starts to work, but will lock up again after a minute or 2. Rekordbox works perfectly, but I'd much rather use Serato so I'm trying to figure out why. Here's what I've tried.

uninstalled/reinstalled Serato
    deleted the _serato_ folder and started with a fresh database
    tried a different USB cable and USB port
    set the USB buffer size to max in Serato

Since it's working fine with Rekordbox I'm guessing it's something with Serato, My 202 worked great but that was 2.1.1, which doesn't support the FLX6 so I can't try it. I'm leaning towards returning the controller and getting something else. I want the DDJ-1000SRT, but I fear the same freezing will happen, and I'm not sure how many returns would fly, so if I get a 1000SRT and it doesn't work either I might be stuck with it. I'd prefer to stay away from RB. I know I could get an SX3, but I'm curious if anyone here has any ideas. I know the FLX6 isn't a great controller for the money, but I do like the large jog wheels and the price is good, or rather good for a controller with CDJ sized wheels.

My Windows and all drivers are up to date and no other software on this computer's giving me problems. I'm going hook up an old SSD tomorrow and try a fresh install of Windows 10 with nothing but that and Serato to see if it works. Maybe someone here has an idea, Serato support's trying to help but with no error messages and just locking up, it's going to be difficult to pin point.
    Last edited by j-bird; 12-22-2020 at 04:35 PM.

what is the computer spec?
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    what is the computer spec?

i5 3570k
    8gb ddr3
    Intel HD4000 video - not a laptop it's a computer I built myself.

*I THINK* I might have fixed the problem, but I thought that when did a clean install of Windows 10 on my spare SSD yesterday and it played 4 songs without freezing up. I exited Serato, and when I opened it later it froze on the 1st song, I unplugged/rehooked 4 more times and it kept freezing up after 1-2 minutes so I shut it off. Last night just trying things I lowered the memory timing in my BIOS and I played a few albums in Serato with no lock up. But when I get home tonight I'll see it if still works. Even tho it worked, I'm not very hopeful it was nothing more than just really dumb luck lol.

hmmm, even though that chip is what...over 8 years old...now, it aint no slouch. It should handle serato fine.
    music manipulation was (certainly with 2 tracks) covered well about 15 years ago with hardware.
    however, serato will not and will never make new versions of their software that are configured to run well on that chip.
    Such is life and progress. Hell my PS5 (when it arrives...grrr) will only work well with 7 series core processors...for bloody streaming....it aint logical, captain.

So I would keep tweaking it until you get it to work and then some day get a new PC.

I feel for you, brother. I run 15 year old DJ software on a 13 year old laptop. I don't expect the miracles I get from my gaming rig. But getting a mix on shouldn't demand much processor oomph. Curse those software developers.
    finally a mix by me

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    hmmm, even though that chip is what...over 8 years old...now, it aint no slouch. It should handle serato fine.
    music manipulation was (certainly with 2 tracks) covered well about 15 years ago with hardware.
    however, serato will not and will never make new versions of their software that are configured to run well on that chip.
    Such is life and progress. Hell my PS5 (when it arrives...grrr) will only work well with 7 series core processors...for bloody streaming....it aint logical, captain.

So I would keep tweaking it until you get it to work and then some day get a new PC.

I feel for you, brother. I run 15 year old DJ software on a 13 year old laptop. I don't expect the miracles I get from my gaming rig. But getting a mix on shouldn't demand much processor oomph. Curse those software developers.
    LOL damn the 2nd Serato support person to help me said the same thing, basically in a nice way I have an old ass computer. I built it 8 years ago or something, but it runs good for me. I do want to get a dedicated Serato Laptop. Or at least a wireless keyboard, I gotta walk from my Dj table to my computer anytime I wanna do anything I can't do on the controller, or can't do quickly on the controller. I played in Serato more last night and it didn't freeze, so I guess Serato doesn't like aggressive memory timings, which sucks because my system's a little slower now. But it beats it locking up, or me using Rekordbox. No disrespect to RB cos the few days I used it it it is pretty nice, but I missed Flip, and the way crates work and how Serato sets your cue points to 12 o'clock if you have a screen on your jog's. Makes beat juggling much easier for me. Since my controller works with both I might as well play around in both.

Serato runs good on my system, I have the USB buffer set to 5ms and never notice any hiccups. The only thing is it takes forever to analyze music, but even still RB takes soooooooo much longer. I'd love a new Ryzen with 12 cores, maybe one day. I don't think either are particularly optimized well though. I can't speak on RB as far as updates and fixing shit, but Serato doesn't seem to do much at all and rarely listen to what it's users are bitching about.

NOPE, it's locking up again (and again) put in an RMA request to get it returned. And placed an order for a Reloop RP8000 MK2 with a Ortofon Concorde MKII scratch and a Numark Scratch. I think for me wanting to learn how to scratch this should be a better setup than any controller I could have bought. HOPEFULLY Serato will place nice with it and not lock up any more.

Hope it works out for you.

Never liked the feeling of controllers or CDJs.

Your logic seems sound regarding Serato, there's no way to be truly sure of it without testing it out. Do all the usual stuff, such as disabling all non-mixing software (even anti-virus).
    finally a mix by me