Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home system install project

Hybrid View

Talking Home system install project

Hi all, I hope this message finds you well.

I'm going to be installing a sound system into a space towards the end of next year. I wanted to float some ideas with you and hear some feedback or some ideas you might have yourself on what you think would work best.

As a preface, I'm by no means a sound installer or experienced with it just a lifelong DJ with the usual setups. Currently running Technics/Rane/Adam AX8's in my spare room DJ setup.

This particular room which will have the system is a rectangle approx 9m x 7m with 2.5 m high ceilings (ceiling height TBC)

I plan to install a permanent sound system and to focus the power around the booth area and record shelving. The back of the room towards the door would not need to be as loud.

The image attached shows the booth with a column, my record shelving which is around waste high, the blue boxes are possible sub locations (another question here)

My initial idea was to fulfill a dream of having a Funktion One soundsystem. It's not off the table completely but the more I seem to read the less I'm convinced its a good idea and not just my teenage fantasy influencing my plans. The F1 system I planned to use would consist of F55's at the back F81's near the booth or similar sized boxes (not sure what they are making these days) with a minisub MB112 or BR118 or equivalent. I haven't come up with the full plan as yet but its looking like the best part of 5 grand UK, if this has enough power for what I'm planning (see questions)

I've also had a little look at Martin Audio and a system based around the ccd6/8 and the Martin subs that integrate.

During my recent research I've also heard about Nexo and db Technologie so I'm interested to hear about anyone's experience with these.

So questions, my main inquiry is related to what sort of power and size do people recommend for the space, would the sorts of enclosure's I've been looking at provide enough power to have a decent sound at a high volume.

Are there any other similar brands people think I should consider? price is of course relevant and from my research so far I feel I would be lucky to get this done for less that 3 or 4k GBP.

Then we have the whole powered versus passive debate, I'm leaning more towards passive but they seem to come in at a similar price (unsurprisingly) and I don't need any portability.

How are the speaker locations? should they be adjusted?

The sub location is also another question I have. The central location of the booth seems like a good place but I'm a bit concerned about vibration or what I'd need to build to make it a non issue. The other option is by the sofa area but then we have distance, two subs?

So many questions!

If you have any recommended reading for me or sites I could use that would also be useful. I plan to make a post on gearslutz at some point but thought I'd test the waters here first.

Looking forward to hearing from people and learning how to make this exciting project a success!Many thanks.
    Last edited by Interior Outlines; 12-15-2020 at 08:22 AM.
    Best,

I/O

Your drawing doesn't show up. Check if you have the correct link.

On to some of the questions. It's a larger than average living room, but no giant space like a club, so those type of speakers you have been looking at will definitely give you decent output.
    With Funktion One you definitely pay a "hype tax", kind of like apple, wether it's worth that is up to you. Personally I would go with something other than Funktion One. What they are famous for are their horn loading principles and the smaller models don't make any use of those. The only reason to get F1 for your home is if you like purple speakers

Martin Audio like you mentioned are nice. Their Blackline series is a proven classic and they look and sound good, for example the Blackline X8.
    Also something like the Klipsch KI-102-SMA-II together with a KI-115-SMA-II sub wouldn't be a bad system.

There are lots of options out there but I would definitely go with something passive, since it means less cables for an install. With powered you'd have to deal with both power and signal cable for each speaker. With passive you only need the speaker cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel S View Post
    With Funktion One you definitely pay a "hype tax", kind of like apple, wether it's worth that is up to you. Personally I would go with something other than Funktion One. What they are famous for are their horn loading principles and the smaller models don't make any use of those. The only reason to get F1 for your home is if you like purple speakers
    +1 on that, the models you are considering while appropriate for your room and application are nothing special in terms of speaker technology and many many other brands would deliver the same performance at 1/2 the cost or better. But don't let that stop you if you have the money and they meet your performance expectations.
    Paul O'Brien
    Old Tech Guy
    www.Techott.com

Can't seem to link the image, oddly enough it shows for me in the original post - any tips to make this work?

Thank you both for the replies. That's even more confirmation for the veering away from F1, I also read that for the smaller speakers they are making they are not much to write home about. I'm also extremely averse to paying hype tax! I don't use apple products

Daniel, ah yes I forgot about the power cables, that would just be an added complication.

How does the Blackline range compare to the cdd do you know? I'll have a read up on them anyway and see what I can discover.

I'll have a look at Klipsch thanks for the recommendation.

Conanski, do you happen to have any brands in mind that hit the sweet spot with performance and price for this kind of application?
    Last edited by Interior Outlines; 12-17-2020 at 04:25 AM.
    Best,

I/O

Quote Originally Posted by Interior Outlines View Post

Can't seem to link the image, oddly enough it shows for me in the original post - any tips to make this work?
    Copy image internet address before pasting, do not use direct links: https://i.ibb.co/WFfpgV6/room.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Copy image internet address before pasting, do not use direct links
    Thank you for that
    Best,

I/O

Your sub locations are going to give a poor result. They need to be close to room walls. Don't put speakers in the back, the room is far too small to need them. The glass sliding doors are likely to be a problem. They'll need to be totally covered with thick cloth curtains to damp high frequency reflections, and they'll probably vibrate like mad from the subs.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice View Post
    Your sub locations are going to give a poor result. They need to be close to room walls. Don't put speakers in the back, the room is far too small to need them. The glass sliding doors are likely to be a problem. They'll need to be totally covered with thick cloth curtains to damp high frequency reflections, and they'll probably vibrate like mad from the subs.
    Ok this is great, thank you for the input. Buying less speakers is music to my ears. (boom tsh)

Your site looks great, I'm also planning to build some speakers at some point so now I know where to come for some advice
    Best,

I/O

Now that I've seen the sketch I'm with Bill, there's no need for the speakers at the back, especially if you don't want it as loud there. That way you can save a bit of money, or if you feel like spending it all, buy just one pair a notch higher up in the model range. The sub goes in the inner corner away from the balcony, under the records.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Daniel, do you think the sub would be OK centralized in the room on that wall - where records is written pretty much.
    Best,

I/O