Thread: Connecting Monitors + Subwoofer into DJM400

Connecting Monitors + Subwoofer into DJM400

Hi,

Been mixing for about 3 years now using some passive speakers and an amplifier into my Pioneer DJM400 which has worked perfectly. Recently had a tonne of audio issues and now im thinking go changing over to some active speakers. I will be getting either the Yamaha HS5 or Adam Audio T5V and realised i will need some RCA to XLR cables to plug them into my DJM400 mixer.

My question is....is there anyway i can also connect a subwoofer into this setup? as when mixing at home i feel like a need a sub to take some stress off of the monitors! Can someone explain if this is possible with the set i have or what cables/stuff i would need to make this possible?

Thanks a lot,

RW

All depends on the sub you have. It would have to be one with stereo input and stereo outputs (nicely crossed over, ideally with frequency controls) in order to go through to the monitors.
    You'll probably find the sub you want doesn't do this at your price point, but they do exist, just keep checking for deals.

For example look at this

bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

For example if i got the Yamaha HS8S how would i got about connecting it all up? I only have two RCA outputs on the DJM400 mixer L and R so how would i connect the two monitors and a sub? Sorry if this sounds stupid but i cant find any information online. Would it be the case of running an RCA to XLR to the output of the sub and then running the XLR's from the monitors into the input of the sub?
    Last edited by ryanxwhite; 12-11-2020 at 10:44 AM.

You could do this with buy buying a mixer with XLR outputs or by some other audio equipment routing and doing a mess of wires.

Like I said, the sub you want in your budget probably won't have the connections you need. Such is life. Keep your eyes on eBay for something better.

[i moved this thread to the proper section and i'll delete your double post]
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by ryanxwhite View Post
    For example if i got the Yamaha HS8S how would i got about connecting it all up? I only have two RCA outputs on the DJM400 mixer L and R so how would i connect the two monitors and a sub?
    Follow the directions in the HS8S manual.
    Bill Fitzmaurice
    Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    www.billfitzmaurice.info/forum