Thread: Looking for recomendations

Looking for recomendations

ok here is my current question/issue/what i'm looking for.

basically what i need is a software, paid or otherwise that allows me to set up a song with a time line, and allows me to record cues in real time with the audio. basically allowing me to use my midi pad or other input device to control a device in real time while recording to a track running parallel with the music. sounds simple enough.

there is one software that i know of out there that does this, but the limitations and cost are prohibitive and that would be venue magic, the problem with that is i run my systems with an ARTNET interface. and the version that allows for artnet is insanely priced. last time i checked somewhere between 1500 and 2000 for a single license. i have 4 lighting rigs, i'm not spending 8 grand to run 4 mobile lighting rigs. thats insanity.

i'm sure there are other software packages out there that do this i just haven't had a chance to do in depth research to figure out who does what and for how much.

i found that QLC+ (freeware) does allow for timeline creation but getting it to record live inputs seems to be lacking.

oh well like i said i'm looking for ideas at this point of software that will do what i want that isn't VM.

Thanks

Are you looking for free software or paid software? If paid, how much do you expect to pay?

With something like Ableton you can run an audio track and midi sequences side by side. You then need to translate the midi to artnet and I'm sure that software like that exists (or a device) but what might be easier is to set up your lighting cues in an actual lighting program like freestyler, then trigger those cues when you want them with midi from ableton (or whatever). To get the midi out of one program and into the other you need a midi loopback driver like this: https://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html

With something like Ableton you can run an audio track and midi sequences side by side. You then need to translate the midi to artnet and I'm sure that software like that exists (or a device) but what might be easier is to set up your lighting cues in an actual lighting program like freestyler, then trigger those cues when you want them with midi from ableton (or whatever). To get the midi out of one program and into the other you need a midi loopback driver like this: https://nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html