Thread: Quietest DVS Timecode ?

Quietest DVS Timecode ?

Hi,

I currently use rekordbox DVS, however the noise coming from the timecode/needle contact is driving me mad.

Firstly, I know i could put the music louder to cover the noise but I have neighbours through the wall so this is not an option. I have tried different cartridges and weight settings, none of which helped a whole lot.

Now im asking what timecode vinyl has the quietest signal ? I dont mind switching to serato, i dont mind using older timecode, i just want to know the quietest one

I'd suggest to put the covers on the turntables or get headphones with better isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I'd suggest to put the covers on the turntables or get headphones with better isolation.
    This is not what im looking for, I want to know the quietest timecode

Quote Originally Posted by Jackbunyan View Post
    This is not what im looking for, I want to know the quietest timecode
    It kinda doesn't exist.
    You want a strong loud signal from your timecode records so it performs its function of tracking correctly.
    If, by nature you get a signal that is "quieter" it will not be sending a strong signal. There may be slight differences of your perception of between, say, Traktor or Serato or whatever DVS on the market based on the tone used, but generally speaking you probably wouldn't notice the difference. And you can't be sure of how your perception, in your room, regarding the differences of frequency tone compares with someone else. To work best you want a high frequency loud tone on the record.

Think of it as asking on a drilling forum where to find a high performing but silent drill. It doesn't exist. Like a drill, DVS is a tool. The sound of the timecode is not a factor in the result of it's work, merely the process of it's work.

So in this case you could go and invest 500 quid in a DVS hoping to get a marginal difference in the tone, or look at a solution to your real problem.

The suggestion of high isolation headphones is a good one, if you want to do a lot of mixing in headphones. Alternatively place your speakers closer to your ears. Invest in sound deadening your room if you really want.

In the long term, the only solution to enjoying loud noise of any description is to put the money aside and eventually invest in a detached house. By the time you reach that stage you'll probably have sleeping babies to worry about. Such is life!
    Last edited by pete; 12-04-2020 at 07:44 AM.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Phase DVS is dead quiet. No needledrop, tho.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    It kinda doesn't exist.
    You want a strong loud signal from your timecode records so it performs its function of tracking correctly.
    If, by nature you get a signal that is "quieter" it will not be sending a strong signal. There may be slight differences of your perception of between, say, Traktor or Serato or whatever DVS on the market based on the tone used, but generally speaking you probably wouldn't notice the difference. And you can't be sure of how your perception, in your room, regarding the differences of frequency tone compares with someone else. To work best you want a high frequency loud tone on the record.

Think of it as asking on a drilling forum where to find a high performing but silent drill. It doesn't exist. Like a drill, DVS is a tool. The sound of the timecode is not a factor in the result of it's work, merely the process of it's work.

So in this case you could go and invest 500 quid in a DVS hoping to get a marginal difference in the tone, or look at a solution to your real problem.

The suggestion of high isolation headphones is a good one, if you want to do a lot of mixing in headphones. Alternatively place your speakers closer to your ears. Invest in sound deadening your room if you really want.

In the long term, the only solution to enjoying loud noise of any description is to put the money aside and eventually invest in a detached house. By the time you reach that stage you'll probably have sleeping babies to worry about. Such is life!

I understand what you are saying. However ive heard that the older scratch live DVS have a weaker signal and therefore are quieter than the newer serato and reckordbox timecode ? this is the sort of information i was looking for because im not sure if this is the case

I never used Rekordbox, so I don't know how loud the signal is, or what your idea of loud is. I use Traktor, If it is dead quiet in the house, you can hear the tone, but once you put the volume up, you don't hear it, at least I don't. I suggest you borrow a Serato and Record vinyl, and try it out for yourself, and see which one is quieter. You don't need the sound card, since you are not switching yet, you just need one of each to try out to see which one is quieter. Either that or get an NS7 controller.