Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: YouTube Strikes

I tried a full remix album with free commons use copyright, Youtube rejected all of it - so I did not even bother clearly not a platform to share music, unlike places like Bandcamp. The problem with mixes, is that YT request to takedown, mute or replace with their own ''approved'' music. Simply does not work with DJ mixes.

Getting your song deleted on youtube is not the end of the world. One of my Disco mixes on youtube has almost 2 minutes of silence in the middle of the mix from a song I had to delete, and it has over 1.3 million views. Some mixes wont play in certain countries. Some mixes I have wont play in the USA, but will play in the rest of the world. Some songs I had to delete, didn't get deleted in a mix somebody else posted. It makes no sense. So put your mix up, and take your chances. If you want to be heard, youtube is still the best place to be heard that will get the most views.

From an artistic point of view, it's still painful should I say. You create something and then they pull the rug from under your legs because of rules. Of course it's not the end of the world, but in a way it is frustrating. There are some circumventing ways that make their rules point somehow irrelevant. It is such a wide debate anyway, DJ mixes versus you can't upload this and that because our rules.

One more thing about youtube videos, you don't have to make mixing videos and risk a chance on getting a copyright strike. Another option is making how to videos, or review videos about your equipment. For example, I have a a video on how to use a Bozak rotary mixer. You would be surprised how many DJ's want to get a rotary mixer, and have no idea how to use one. So I walk you through it step by step on how to use one, or at least how I use one. That video has 15,000 views. I have another video about my equipment where I talk about every piece of gear in my setup. It helps that I have gold Technics turntables. 23,000 plays on that one. I'm not here to brag about my views, just trying to help you guys out so you can build and grow your own youtube channel. The good thing about making how to videos, and equipment videos is, that you can monetize those, and get paid by youtube. You are not going to make a nickel from your DJ mixing videos because they have music on them, but your equipment videos will, assuming you get monetized, which takes 1000 subscribers. I have other equipment videos on my channel, they have tons of views, and attract more viewers to listen to my mixes.

Any info is good info - I do often myself lookup to tutorials, in particular car mechanics advice on how to fix this and that...

YouTube has become really sharp at flagging users, even a 10 second snippet of anything can get flagged, same goes for copyrighted video content. The latest being people doing reaction videos about movies, it seems impossible to produce any reaction video to Rambo - First Blood. Universal Group will whip anyone who attempts it gets a strike, and a takedown request. I still firmly believe there is a bias on fair use that sides with the big companies instead of the creators - it was Rick Beato who once mentioned that even playing Beatles melodies on his own guitar gets him striked. Yet he's been recently appointed as an advisor to help rule on AI music that is quickly becoming the next copyright / fair use headache for record companies:

I have some questions, too.

1) Does it matter if you don't monetise the videos? I don't; I upload them just for fun.
    2) You can see if it is "illegal" before you make it public. This means you can decide not to upload and edit the offending part before uploading.
    3) 20 min mix is 5 tracks (maybe less). Is it worth it?

Keep it locked!😃

There's a guy on here who tried it, he had youtube mixes like muted swiss cheese. It's highly annoying for the viewer/listener, having to manually skip the blanks. If Youtube spots ''multiple violations'', the entire mix gets red-flagged and you're not even allowed to publish.

3) 20 min mix is 5 tracks (maybe less). Is it worth it?
    I wouldn't even bother, you can try and find out. The youtube algorithm is getting pernicious lately, it can even flag you for ''using the melody of'' (I had a couple). Unless some music you use is not copyrighted, or heavily remixed, you simply won't get through.

You can't monetize a video that has copyright music on it. If youtube keeps your video up, the artist will get the money. You can't monetize any videos until you qualify, which I think you need 1000 subscribers, and 4000 hours a month of people who actually watch your videos. Don't quote me on that, you may have to double check. The less songs you have in your mix, the less chance you have of getting blocked, so 5 songs is fine. I find people are more interested in the songs, than your mixing skills, at least at first. So put up mixes of songs that people actually know. If you put of mixes of songs that nobody ever heard off, you are not going to have too many people listening to your awesome mix, unless that is the type of audience you are looking for.