Thread: DJ Mix Distrobution

DJ Mix Distrobution

Hello,
    I am a little new to the whole monetize and distrubtion. I wanted to see if it was possible to get paid from my mixes that I have made of other artists ?

For example I have several Steve Aoski songs that I have mixed myself, is it possible to monetize from these via

Spotify
    Youtube id content
    Twitch
    Apple music

?

If yes how can I submit these to get monetized ? Is it one channel by one ?

In short, no.

Unless you contact Steve Aoki's management and they agree to give you copyright clearance to publish, which is unlikely.

Making money by DJing is super hard. Making money by remixing is difficult as well.
    If you even got clearance from the artist to remix, you'd be paid in pennies. Even the artist gets paid in pennies from Spotify etc.
    If you get into production and get a studio then make money off people using your skills and studio, then it is possible to make some money.
    Maybe enough to pay some of your bills one day if you are super lucky.

Its a tough business that becomes a pit-full of vipers very fast. Even "big" artists make little money and have a short shelf life.
    Better to do it because you enjoy it and appreciate any little money you could make as a bonus.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

i have made hundreds of mixes, and have a whole bunch of them on youtube. I get millions of views. I am working on making my second million dollars from all the royalties. I gave up on making my first million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    i have made hundreds of mixes, and have a whole bunch of them on youtube. I get millions of views. I am working on making my second million dollars from all the royalties. I gave up on making my first million dollars.

So you made a million but now your giving up ?

Quote Originally Posted by Panotaker View Post
    First time I heard of royalties from mixes. Even back in the days of CDs, most of the time the DJ got a flat rate, I think.
    Your mixes are great, and I'm happy for you if you get millions of views.
    But I'm unsure if youtube pays out much.
    finally a mix by me

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    First time I heard of royalties from mixes. Even back in the days of CDs, most of the time the DJ got a flat rate, I think.
    Your mixes are great, and I'm happy for you if you get millions of views.
    But I'm unsure if youtube pays out much.
    That reply i posted is an old joke. The joke is about becoming a millionaire. I'm working on my second million, because I gave up on making my first million. I do have a lot of mixes on youtube, and I do have millions of plays on my mixes, I also have around 15,000 subscribers, but I haven't made a nickel from those mixes, because of copyrights. Youtube will not monetize your mixes if you use copyrighted music. On my mixes, the artist get the money instead of me. They should send me a thank you card from all the royalties they get from the mixes I post. So forget about making money from your mixes. If you figure out how, let me know. The DJ's that make money on youtube, are the ones that either do equipment reviews, or do how-to videos that don't include copyrighted songs. That is what I started doing. I have a few DJ videos about my equipment, and those are monetized, and are starting to make me money. To get monetized, you need 1000 subscribers, and you also need people to watch 4000 hours a month of your videos. Getting the subscribers is hard enough, getting the 4000 hours a month is the hard part. Do you have a youtube channel? If you want me to give you some advise on getting subscribers on youtube and getting people to watch your videos, I can tell you what worked for me. Just let me know.

I worked 3 years in music distribution in the early 000s. At the tail end of when there was a "classic" music industry, with physical media.
    I did the numbers, a dull job.
    But I worked in the place for good music, at the fulcrum where I saw all sides of the industry through from artist to final client.

It still amuses me to run into people today who have ideas that artists make millions. Some do. But even a lot of famous names do not make enough money to make a living wage.
    I worked with artists that were lucky enough to be #1 in the singles charts. But they were still claiming benefits. And those guys are 1% of the 1% that "made it".
    I could understand how this happens, cos I did the numbers. I saw the contracts. I knew how the industry works.

I could also tell you stories of famous, cool, hip-hop industry moguls who are "super businessmen" and pose next to stacks of bills.
    The same guys who get laughed at and pushed to the corner in the business meetings while the old, fat white guys who actually keep the money hash out deals to keep their old, fat, white investors rich.

So yeah, Steve Aoki, youtube and remixing. Three factors in an equation that should never be used the same time as the word "money".

Big respect to Panotaker. The very definition of keeping it real, being passionate about your genre, putting in the years and still enjoying educating the dancefloor.
    finally a mix by me