Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DJing in COVID-19 times - New trends?

DJing in COVID-19 times - New trends?

I haven't gigged in these new COVID-19 times, but I'm sure that many other members have.

What is the new "normal"? How do you maintain social distancing? Are you expected to DJ with a mask on? Do you keep the space around your setup clear? Are requests texted?
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

where i am, they are opening the clubs and lounges but you are not allowed to mingle with people other than ur own group.

you have to sit down at your table. if you want to dance, you have to dance in your seats and not on the dancefloor. kind of fucked up but oh well.

when it comes to djiing, nobody is allowed in the booth other than club personnel. request made my texting. mask on all the time since ur the face of the venue

I haven't DJd since March and I probably won't do any DJing until February next year at the earliest.

There are similar rules for bars and clubs here in Sweden as Farhan has described. You have to sit by your table, max 8 people at every table. Minimum distance between tables or groups is 1.5m. No standing by the bar, all beverages are ordered and served at the table by a waitor. Hence almost all clubs in my town have turned into lounges now. They have no DJ, only background music. There's also talk about restricting the opening hour to 10:30pm, no drinks served after 10. This rule would be in effect until January next year.

Those are the rules and regulations, then there are strong recommendations that you should work home if you can, not meet other people than family, not participate in any indoor activities where you are close to other people, not do any shopping other than necessary, like food medication, etc. So it's not a forced lockdown but the town is definitely not as busy as normally.

All this together would definitely mean no DJing for a while, until things have turned for the better.

UGH!!!! one person ended up getting covid and wasted space at a hospital..... https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...oum-story.html
    Last edited by fatcatdj; 01-06-2021 at 01:53 AM.
    .."You can NEVER go too far"---Ferris Bueller

I've done a few events where I DJ'd with Virtual DJ and shared my sound via Zoom. I personally would not recommend doing that because there are many more things that you have to keep track of:
    You have to make sure your system has a good amount of available memory because Zoom can be a memory hog.
    You also have to make sure your internet connection is stable. If you live with others who share your internet connection you might have less bandwidth available to you.
    You also have to make sure you share your sound properly. Depending on your setup this could be tricky and tedious to setup initially.
    Check out the Virtual Party Pack - Icebreaker and game ideas for your virtual events

Over the weekend, I did an award show for a private club (think corporate) at a decent hotel in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. I've been doing this event for about 6 years. It's about ~150 people on average - mostly families.

The event went for four hours with dancing only taking place the last hour. I was off to the side (the center left in the photo), so I was socially distant from everyone.

Since it's a dinner and award show, most wore masks when not eating. What I thought was funny was how people lined up without social distancing for food and drinks. When dancing, I don't recall masks being worn.

I now think that it's going to be at least 18 months before DJ events return to normal. It's going to take time to build community immunity and have groups gather without fear of infection or liability.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

I did a few club gigs last summer right after lockdown. Even though they could only stay open until midnight, they were packed! I masked up (a requirement), set a tower fan behind me to act as a barrier of air between me and the dance floor, and felt completely safe. There was a lot of dancing.

Shortly after that, the state freaked out and mandated closing at 10pm. It was just too much to ask to show up that early. I did a couple and packed it up.

I'm in regular contact with two clubs that are ready to go as soon as caseloads come down enough to run until midnight again. I think this will happen fairly soon - sometime this spring. Young adults have shown no fear of Covid, and would be going out right now if they could.

Congrats on your successful gig KLH! I have a private party coming up in a few weeks. They've rented an old movie theater, it's kind of under the radar, and I think it's happening no matter what.

Literally nothing going on here in the UK (with a brief few weeks during the summer where we could do number limited weddings). Essentially dead since March, so I've mostly been doing promo. Live streams, marketing, keeping my Google and FB pages lively with COVID news, music news, competitions and doing free live streams for Christmas and New Year.

Obviously not great for business, but staying alive is clearly the priority, so I've just decided to go full bore marketing really (which none of my local competitors are doing). I'm just lucky I'm able to handle that financially for a while.

No gigs since Feb 2020.... Covid bedroom djing picked up a new hobby, street and landscape photography.....
    " Mr. Nichols Just A Guy Who Plays Music"

Listen To Good Tunes..Play Good Tunes..Spin The Tunes They Wanna Hear