Thread: CD recorders/burners

Question CD recorders/burners

longtime forum lurker here, graduating to member after becoming the proud new owner of a pair of cdj-200s and a numark dxm06 mixer :)
    they are cheap and have changed hands a couple of times, but im in love

itching to move outside my current cd and record collection (have a record player plugged into the phono line of one of the mixer channels as it is only 2 channel),
    and need some help with my next move

im looking for a cd burner/recorder that i can burn cds from my laptop with (legally purchased) music. however, i also would like to be able to record directly off my mixer using the rca input record line to make some mixtapes for my car and to play with.

first of all, do i even need a recorder with rca input? would it make more sense to record on my laptop and then burn cds from there using a simple usb burner? my record player has a usb line as well and i have used it to bring tracks over to my laptop before. also, would some/all of my current cd collection have some sort of protection code that does not allow you to rip or record them?

i would prefer not to depend on my laptop for this unless it is necessary, which leads me to my request; a recommendation for a specific brand/machine. i have a budget of >100 and no issues going secondhand. i am planning on adding a korg drum machine and possibly other machines to my set up asap, if that has any other bearings on suggestions.

thanks in advance :)

Well if your present car has a CD player, you next one probably won't.
    CDs are not a media that is expanding in usage.
    If you need CDs for the CDJs then buy the cheapest USB CD burner you can, it'll probably be about 20 euros.

Avoiding a laptop is possible, but generally speaking it has been the de-facto method for over 15 years. However, even laptops have ditched CDs these days.

You could get something like a Zoom H1N to record, which is a handy device, but it will be performing the same task as a laptop. Its about 75euros, so altogether you are within budget.

Probably better to invest in a decent soundcard for the laptop for recording.

If you are adding machines, then that usually means MIDI control. MIDI control usually means a computer somewhere along the line as well.
    bored, curious, deaf or just bad taste in music?
    finally a mix by me
    and what's this, another shoddy mix...another dull mix

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    Probably better to invest in a decent soundcard for the laptop for recording.
    I agree with this in reverse order. Get a USB sound interface for your computer. If you perform outside of the bedroom, then get an external recorder.

The sound interface is just too useful to not get first. It can be used often with or without DJing. For a DAE, check out Audacity.
    -KLH
    Visit DJF's Beginner's MEGA thread and drop by my Facebook Fan Page.
    I've read the books like How to DJ right... to learn about... beatmatching, phrasing w/e , Speed Test Scrabble Word Finder Solitaire but when I go to mix...

Quote Originally Posted by Simian View Post
    would it make more sense to record on my laptop and then burn cds from there using a simple usb burner?
    Yes..
    ..because you need a cd burner on your laptop anyway to burn CDs of all the new music you get, and at a cost of around $25USD for a brand new USB cd burner it's a no-brainer...
    ..because recording directly to CD is a pain, if you make a bad mistake and want to start over you waste a CD...
    ..because you might want to do some editing or processing of the recorded set before you put it on CD...
    ..because you might want to put your recorded set up on soundcloud, play on laptop speakers, on cellphone, portable music player.. or send to a friend...
    ..because you might want to burn more than one copy...

So it makes sense to record to a WAV/AIFF file and then burn the CD from that only if you're satisfied.
    Even though it's a little more complicated.

To record from the mixer to the laptop (as people said already) you will need a USB audio interface. One of the cheapest ones is the Behringer UCA202 @ around $30USD (or UCA222 which is newer model.. pretty much the same thing for more money!).

There are other interfaces for more money, I have a Focusrite Scarlet it's around $150 model, the Presonus Audiobox is around $100.. these will give you better sound but the cheap one will work.. it is all about where you want to spend your money, as someone said a good interface will come in handy even if you later stop recording on your laptop you can use it for playback from your laptop to the nice speakers you'll eventually want to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Simian View Post
    i would prefer not to depend on my laptop for this unless it is necessary, which leads me to my request; a recommendation for a specific brand/machine. i have a budget of >100 and no issues going secondhand
    As far as laptops I have been a fan of older IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads for decades, I'm typing on a T420 right now.. it's old and a touch slow, but I put two SSD's in it (one SATA, one MSATA) and 8GB RAM, it still works well, and this is where I used to burn my CD's from (it has a built in burner). You can get these machines cheaply now but consider upgrades in your budger, you will want to upgrade to SSD most likely, also used computers tend to need replacement batteries.

With used laptops it really is all about what you are willing to spend. You can always get something nicer...

As far as recording without the computer involved, I totally understand that, I have a Roland R-07 recorder now (used to have an R-09 which was better.. but you can't get them anymore).
    I record on there and then if I like the recording I transfer it to my computer and go from there... It's nice for recording other places besides home, I also prefer to not have the computer in my way in the DJ area but just hit "record" on a little box and go But if you are just getting started, you'll be at home anyway, you don't have that much gear yet, you need the computer anyway to burn CD's.. so I would just put the money that would be spent on a recorder into a nicer computer because you are going to need that computer.

that cleared that up
    cd burner and behringer UCA222 ordered...
    thanks for the replies folks

Cool let us know how it goes. For recording, Audacity is a great free program you should check out.